• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for a server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

For server applications, does DDR still outperform the RDRAM, it won't be on a P4 platform, it'll be in the new XeonMP.

And does anyone know what kinda memory the Itanium uses?

Well, RDRam is faster, and it has bigger bandwidth. Since it's going for a server computer, I'd recommend a RD board since it'll be a non overclocked board, and DDR vs RD stock, RD wins.

so it isn't the ram that's the problem with the P4's, it's a problem with intel then. I'd like to know what the Itanium can use.

Chris said:
For server applications, does DDR still outperform the RDRAM, it won't be on a P4 platform, it'll be in the new XeonMP.

And does anyone know what kinda memory the Itanium uses?

XEONMP? Are you speaking of the IntelXeon? Or the AthlonMP?

Intel Xeon. They have a new Xeon, called the XeonMP that is designed to run in more than a 4-way config, unlike previous Xeon's. I don't believe that they are on the market yet, but they are on the Intel website.

Back