• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC The TH7 II - What Is Reasonable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
Very new to this board ........

I havent bought anything yet ..... I pretty much made up my mind to go Rambus with a TH7 2 until someone told me tonight that all the insane OC we see on the OC databases with the above combo is because of voltage mods because Rambus does not OC well at all ...... is this true

I am not expecting miracles or anything .... I would be happy if I can take a 1.8 up to 2.4 ...... is this something I can reasonably expect with two sticks of 128 mb 8 device samsung rdram

What performs better [faster] a Nortwood with Rdrm at 120 or a I845D with good DDR 333 at 180 or higher FSB which should be easy to get with Samsung DDR 333

I am not expecting miracles or anything .... I would be happy if I can take a 1.8 up to 2.4 ...... is this something I can reasonably expect with two sticks of 128 mb 8 device samsung rdram

I can almost guarantee 2.4 gig with a 1.8a Northwood, TH7-II, the RAM you mntioned, and good cooling.

What performs better [faster] a Nortwood with Rdrm at 120 or a I845D with good DDR 333 at 180 or higher FSB which should be easy to get with Samsung DDR 333

The 1.8 Northwood running at 180+ FSB with DDR would be faster than running at 120 FSB using RDRAM... HOWEVER... a it'll never happen unless you're using some sort of super-cooling and insane high voltage. It sure would never run stable for long term at 180 FSB (that's 3.24 gig).

batboy said:

I can almost guarantee 2.4 gig with a 1.8a Northwood, TH7-II, the RAM you mntioned, and good cooling.

Would this be at 4 x or 3 x mode. I want to run at 4 x .... is this something I can expect

WHats you definition of good cooling ... the retail HSF plus others or .......

So batboy, would you generally say that currently a Nortwood / Rambus combo is faster and better now and for the long haul than a northwood / DDR 333 combo

Would this be at 4 x or 3 x mode. I want to run at 4 x .... is this something I can expect....
I'll chime in. I just got a new TH7II Raid to replace the one I sacraficed. I'm using my original 1.8A chip that I volt modded. I have my fsb at 140 with the 400mhz Mem setting, @1.75V. If you can't reach 133fsb with the 4x setting I would be very surprised.
WHats you definition of good cooling ... the retail HSF plus others or .......
I was able to reach 133fsb, 4x mem with the stock Intel HSF. Just remember to work your way up to 133 from 100 using increments of around 5fsb at a time. Good luck.

arch5

Most TH7-II will run the RDRAM at full speed at 133 FSB. I still recommend better cooling than the factory retail cooler though, especially if you're raising the voltage. If you're running higher than 133 FSB, you might need more memory cooling too. I mounted an extra 80mm case fan pointing at my RAM (see my RDRAM cooling post in this section). I do know if you're talking about equal overclocks and speeds, the RDRAM has more bandwidth and will produce better benchmarks than DDR.

Back