• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7 2 RAID Owners - Which Rambus Do You Have

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
There are too many to choose from. Even Samsung makes different types of the same MB modules

I was told that the sticks with 8 chips OC the best

Can you list what you have with a link

It appears the 128 meg Samsung single sided modules run the coolest and lots of people seem to have really good luck with them. However, I've seen impressive results with the 256 meg modules too. I probably would not recommend the 512 sticks though. I have the 128 meg single sided Samsung PC800 RDRAM and it will run at 533 MHz (equal to PC1066).

That's funny, I heard the opposite thing. I heard that the double sided RDRAM, i.e. 16 device chips, overclock better. Can anybody confirm whether its the 8 device or 16 device RDRAM RIMMs that overclock better?

well i have both and the 128 single side do better i have 4x128 samsungs 8s in and works at 533
I tried to put 256 double sided chips in but will not run at 128 even and man they are twice as hot.very hot i had 4x256 in and it was like a open fire burn your hand
but the single side 128s run much cooler.
brat boy if i do the wire trick on my cpu you can still adjust the volts higher then the default it will be at right?

:p4 2.0a Northwood @ 2.6 G w/Retail HSF, Abit TH7II, 77 bios 1.85 volts , 4x128 Samsung rdram 8 device, wd 40gig ide, Visiontek Ti4600 128 meg Video Baby,Creative Audigy gamer, Nec USB 2.0 adaptor, 40 gig USB 2.0 external very fast drive, 2 cd burners TDK/Plextor, 21” Mitsubishi Big screen

Pgiinc: yes, the VID pin wire trick allows extra BIOS settings for vcore. For example, I wired VID pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 together for a default of 1.85v. Now my TH7-II BIOS has settings all the way up to 2.2v. I can set it in the BIOS by "user define" to anything I want now.

so what is your actual volts now?
i have the 77 bios and 1.85 selected but hardware doc says 1.80
were do you have yours set

The TH7II bios set vcore and the actual vcore are off by 0.05 - 0.075. Convervative engineering I guess. Wire all the pins and get it over with.

Actually, mine averages about 0.1v lower than the BIOS setting. So, if I have it set at 1.9v in the BIOS, it actually reads approximately 1.8v in Hardware Doctor.

Bac to my question ......

I still dont know which Samsung memory you guys have and where to pick some up

I have seen Samsung Original 128 MB
I have seen Samsung 8 Device 128 MB
I have seen Samsung 16 Device 128 MB

The same thing for the 256 MB sticks

either 128-8-device or 256-16-device-single sided.
googlegear should have them pretty cheap.
Kaiser_Sose said:
Bac to my question ......

I still dont know which Samsung memory you guys have and where to pick some up

I have seen Samsung Original 128 MB
I have seen Samsung 8 Device 128 MB
I have seen Samsung 16 Device 128 MB

The same thing for the 256 MB sticks

ColdDisposition said:
either 128-8-device or 256-16-device-single sided.
googlegear should have them pretty cheap.

ColdDisposition, I just checked googlegear, and compared the Manufacturerer's SKU # with with Samsung's webpage and the 16 device RIMMs are double sided

pgiinc, while I don't doubt that you were able to hit 533MHz with your single sided RDRAM, I would like a second confirmation that it will. At the Anand Tech forums I was told that the double sided memory overclocks better and this was verified by two people. Can anyone else that is using single sided RDRAM verify pgiinc's claim?

Wouldn't it be better to get 2x 256MB RIMMs over 4x 128MB RIMMs since the more RIMMs you get the greater chance you get of getting a RIMM that won't OC to where u want it to be?

Finally, I checked Samsung's website all the 128MB RIMMs are single sided, and if the pattern follows the RIMMs with more devices OC's better so would it be safe in assuming that the 16 device double sided RIMMs will OC good too? Thanks.

your best chance would be 2x128 8 device for overclocking but if can can get 4 to work as i have you get a 3dmark2001 se score of over 12000
lol
the double sided 256 chips i have put out to much heat

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=2938376

P4 2.0a Northwood @ 2.6 G w/Retail HSF, Abit TH7II, 77 bios 1.85 volts , 4x128 Samsung rdram 8 device, wd 40gig ide, Visiontek Ti4600 128 meg Video Baby,Creative Audigy gamer, Nec USB 2.0 adaptor, 40 gig USB 2.0 external very fast drive, 2 cd burners TDK/Plextor, 21” Mitsubishi Big screen

2 - 256MB Double Sided Samsungs here.

The max 400 mode FSB I was able to achieve and still perform fairly stable in Win2k was 135 (540). I did manage 140, but I started getting memory errors and registry corruption. No matter what mode the system is in, 300 or 400, the chip's heat spreaders get extremely hot at anything above 133 or so. I've had this setup as high as 168 at 300 mode with no errors in Win2k, but the heat from the chips got me rather nervous. As some have done, I plan to mount either an additional internal fan at the chips or rig up some duct work from the case's side fan to the RAM.

well yes when i got to 533 i was having problems with stabilty and it is voltage needed for the cpu because when i set the memory to 3x i had same thing
i am at 529 now and its just beacue of i need more cpu volts
when i had system runng with just video card it worked at 533 but now that i have all prephils hook up like 2 usb hubs network card usb 2.0 adaptor system is not stable at 533but i konw that its not the memory because i did run 3dmark2001 with video card only.
I need to get a trun 1.85 volts on cpu i have 1.79/80 with it set to 1.85 ib bios
so i have not done the wire trick on cpu yet
for the extra 100 mhz
i was waiting for another bios to give more volts
Might could use a better power supply i have 300wat powerman
and when i had it in test case it had a 300wat antec that acted a little diff
so i not sure about that
Its no garrante at 533 like i am tring to say the more stuff you put in the mix the less likely you are to get higher

I have 2-128 8 device got up to 533 but mem at 300 could not post at 400 but I have usb printer mouse and camera. I have not tried to go to bare bones and oc sys seems to run fastest at 125x4 and mem at 400 kept vcore at 1.5.

my system's running with 2x 256MB 16device Samsung - MK16R1628AF0-CK8

memory performance's disappointing so far. running @400 Setting in the BIOS, the maximum stable RDRam clock speed is about ~500MHz.

Currently i'm running [email protected] with @300 Settings for the RDRam.

Heatsinks on the DRCGs and Fans on the Ram-Heatspreaders haven't shown any significant positive effects :(

Last edited:
Uhg ....... some can run at 4 x at 133 FSB with air cooling and some can not ......... what to do ..... I dont know

If I can not run at 4 x at 133 FSB than I dont even want to run this setup

jep. sux.

I keep asking myself whether replacing the heatspreaders would be worth trying.
150x4 seems quite tough to archieve :(

Back