• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tough RAM OC'ing! WHY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike360000

Hi All,
I have a problem concerning oc’ing my ram that I can’t figure out at all!
I’ve done a fair amount of oc’ing, but I’ve never came across a problem
like this.

I have a P4 1.7 ghz on a Abit BD7 Raid mobo. I also had the same P4 on
a BL7 Raid before the BD7 Raid I have now. So the problem also ties in
to that mobo.

With the BL7 I used 712 meg (3x256 sticks) of Corsair SDRAM PC133
CAS2 ram. I could overclock this ram to 127 fsb, giving my cpu 2159 mhz.
BUT I could never start the ram from 3:4 BIOS setting, which would have made
the fsb 133 to start with. To get the 127 fsb, I had to start my ram at a 1:1 setting,
starting my fsb at 100 mhz. When I had to run the ram at 133 fsb, it limited
my overall oc to about 118 fbs on top of the 133, giving me a total oc of
about 151 fsb. I ran this setting because the memory bandwith was greatly
increased to about 1200 in 2002 Sandra benchmarks. CAS settings at 151 fsb
was 3-3-3, without precharging. I could run these settings at 2-2-2 with precharging, starting at 100 fsb.

About a month ago I went to a Abit BD7 Raid DDR mobo, of which I had hoped I
could increase my fbs, getting both higher cpu oc’ing as well as higher bandwith.
But it was not to be the case. First I used some Crucial 2100 DDR ram I had. I
Had run this ram before at 159 with no problems. However once again, with
This Crucial ram I was limited to practically the exact same oc’ing numbers/mhz
as I was with the Corsair SDRAM. With a 100/200 fsb I could oc the ram about
27/127 mhz, or about 154/254 mhz. Or if I started at 133/266, I could oc my ram about
18 mhz ontop of the 133/266 settings for DDR. I kept my BIOS CAS settings the same for all ram oc’ing here, at 2.5-7-3-3.

This past week I got some *supposedly* real good oc’ing ram. I got 2x256 sticks of
PC3000 OCZ with copper heatsinks. This ram *supposed* to oc to 200 mhz! To make
a long story short, I am still stuck with the same oc’ing numbers as I was with my Corsair and Crucial ram. Matter of fact this OCZ ram may bit a bit more finicky. I can ONLY run this ram with the following BIOS settings. 2.5-6-3-3. Anything else, regardless to oc’ing or not will not run With this ram. I can start my fsb at 100 and oc my cpu to about 127. or
I can start my fsb at 133, and oc my cpu about 18 mhz on top of the 133, giving me a
Total fsb of, again, 151 mhz…..

My big question or problem here is; I know my cpu will oc to 2159 with no problems,
but it will only do it if I start I start from a 100 fsb. My ram *supposed* to go much higher than this, but it won’t if I start at 133 fsb! I have also tried turning my ram voltage
up, but that has only helped marginally, if at all. I have also tried the *FIXED PCI* settings, and I still can’t get any better results! So what is the problem with my ram and setup here? I am at a loss!

Thanks for reading such a long post!
Mike

Well a pci card would be the first thing that would come to mind, except with these Intel/Abit mobos, there is a *fixed* pci/agp divisor setting, that locks the pci and agp to 33 and 66. Of course I have the option not to use it, but my results are same regardless.

Thanks,
Mike
PS Any other ideas?

Back