• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for P4 Northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bull

I know I sound like a newbie here but the last time I bought an intel chip was the PII 400 with the BX chipset. I'm just wondering what a good overclocking board for a P4 1.6 or 1.8 gig northwood would be. I plan to water cool it as I have already got the case for it. I have looked at the Soyo dragon for the P4 and might buy it but I would like to get some input into what wouild be the best board for overclocking. I have an AMD XP 1600 right now air cooled but I have heard that the northwoods can get 800mhz higher on air cooling thats why I want to try water cooling.

Thanks fellow overclockers.

Daniel

well, i've used the p4b266, it got a 1.6 to 2.13ghz no problem, ran into problems further than that, granted the chip wasnt malaysian, it was costa rican =(

The Soyo Dragon seemed to be a very good mobo.
Brand name...good specs...many settings....and so on.....

But unfortunately a read recently some negative review about it
talking about bios settings that exist...but dont really work.

So i took it out of my options.

Untill now the best mobo available (in my opinion) is the
EPOX 4SDA+
( DDR333,RAID,ATA133....many o\cing settings...and rock stable )

Do your own research...and see what you come up with

I was in the same situation you are in. I'm building a system for a guy at work. He insist's on an intel system. I have'nt built an intel system since my old Abit BH6-II & PIII 800 day's. I'm in the dark on it. But with a little (actually alot :)) of help from the great member's of this forum I figured it all out.

I chose to get the Abit TH7-II (without raid). Looked like the best option to me. But I guess it depend's wether or not you want a DDR board or Rdram board. I chose the Rdram board for the better performance.

i just got the gigabyte 8srx.
man this thing is sweet. nice blue pc board. tons of over clocking options. i poped in my 1.6a and i had the fsb running at 133 withing 10 minutes of my first power-on.
nice board, tons of OC options, very nice price.

Before you even consider which board you want to get, you much first figure out which kind of memory system you want for your Pentium 4 sysem. Right now there are three choices, one of which you must absolutely stay away from, SDRAM.

That leaves the other two choices, DDR and RDRAM.

DDR memory will give you better overclocking options without any complexity (My use of the word complexity will be explained shortly). This is because, as some of us may know from our Athlon systems, DDR handles higher clock speeds almost as well as SDRAM does, and since you can't change the multipliers on a P4, unless your one of the lucky few who own an ES sample, you will have to OC using your FSB. This in turn means OCing your memory. The drawback is that DDR does not provide enough bandwidth to satisfy a P4, especially the NW with their 512KB of L2 cache and will be a bottleneck in your system, especially when you start hitting speeds about 2.4GHz. But if CPU clock frequency is your thing, then go with a DDR solution, but you may sacrafice overall system performance for high clock speed. If you go with DDR there are several options you can go with. I personally would go with a motherboard with an i845D chipset such as the Abit BD7(RAID), Asus P4B266, or the Gigabyte GA-8IRXP.

RDRAM is the second memory type that is good for a P4 system, but overclocking with RDRAM is another story. RDRAM is sensitive to changes in FSB, but from what I heard, current yeilds of PC800 (400MHz FSB) RDRAM can hit PC1066 (533MHz FSB) as long as you have Samsung Original memory. This may limit your ability to OC a NW with RDRAM as anything above 133MHz(533MHz QDR) is up in the air. You have the option of lowering your RDRAM timings to 3x instead of the default 4x to achieve higher FSB, but that is an option that I personally would not want to sacrafice since the major selling point, and the major point I'm building a P4 system with RDRAM, is memory bandwidth to give an overall boast in system performance. Another complication of building an RDRAM system is the Direct Rambus Clock Generators (DRCGs). To get a good overclock with an RDRAM based system you need to have good DRCG chips on your board, particularly an ICS9212 -03 or -13 (preferebly) DRCG. These are the DRCGs that people you see hitting 133MHz (533MHz QDR FSB and PC1066 RDRAM) have on their boards. Of particular interest, and one of the hardest to find, are the ICS DRCGs ending with -13. These DRCGs are rated up to 600MHz (150MHz FSB, PC1200 RDRAM).

Now that I finished scaring you over the overclockability of an RDRAM based system :D let me tell you the advantages of having RDRAM. First, Intel designed the P4 around RDRAM so it is still the best memory for all out P4 performance. It provides the most memory bandwidth that the P4s need, especially the NW with 512KB of L2 cache. Also, most of the new boards that support RDRAM come with an ICS DRCG so your overclocking options are still there, though you may not acheive as high a CPU clock speed as you would get with a DDR board, but overall you will increase your systems performance across the board, which means that the overall performance will increase in your system as opposed to only increasing the speed of your CPU. If you do choose to go with an RDRAM system, there is really only one choice. A motherboard based on the i850 chipset, and I would strongly suggest taking a look at the Abit TH7II(RAID) or the Asus P4T-E. Another pointer is to get Samsung Original RDRAM, 16 device for 256MB RIMMs and 8 device for 128MB RIMMs. Finally, incase you do not already know, RDRAM must be installed in pairs on your RDRAM system.

Consider your options carefully and what you really want out of your system, research your parts, talk to people you know personally and in forums and see what they say. As for me, I hope to have all the parts for my RDRAM based P4 system by the end of the week. Good luck in your project.

bdf24, glad to see some of my advice helped you out, let me how the system your building turns out.

Well I'm gonna have to put my P4 system on hold right now. I am in the process of moving and don't have the extra cash to spend. I might get the Rdram like you said enigma422. The one reason I was gonna go DDR is because I have an extra stick of Kingston ram and wouldn't have to buy any new memory. But if I'm going to wait then I will look into the Rdram based boards. I'm thinking either Asus or Abit. I have experience with these companies and have had no problems with any of their motherboards.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Daniel

PS I never even considered sdram for the P4. It would definitely be a big performance hit. Thanks everyone.

Well when you do decide to jump lemme suggest the epox 4bda or 4sda, both are absolutely amazing boards. They are both DDR.

Bull said:
Well I'm gonna have to put my P4 system on hold right now. I am in the process of moving and don't have the extra cash to spend. I might get the Rdram like you said enigma422. The one reason I was gonna go DDR is because I have an extra stick of Kingston ram and wouldn't have to buy any new memory. But if I'm going to wait then I will look into the Rdram based boards. I'm thinking either Asus or Abit. I have experience with these companies and have had no problems with any of their motherboards.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Daniel

PS I never even considered sdram for the P4. It would definitely be a big performance hit. Thanks everyone.

Bull, if you are going to wait, might I suggest you wait until May. In May they are suppose to release motherboards that officially support 533MHz FSB and official PC1066 RDRAM. With this your overclocking options might be up there with DDR since you will officially be running at a higher FSB right off the back.

MaxQc said:
So it'll support upcoming 533Mhz Northwood B cpu ?

no one is sure at the moment, guess the owners of this board (inc me) will have to wait till the processors come out to find out, or hope abit release a new bios to support it.
I guess the best option at the moment is to wait.

Cooler666 said:
Abit TH7-II already supports 1066 RDRAM

The Abit TH7-II does not officially support PC1066 RDRAM since the i850 was made for a 400MHz FSB, though many could already run their Abit TH7-II at PC1066. I doubt that the Abit TH7-II will ever officially support PC1066/533MHz FSB since if they do that with a simple BIOS they won't be making any money over if they just sell a new board that officially supports PC1066/533MHz FSB. Why do you think Intel is releasing an i850E probably already knowing the original i850 supports the faster bus/memory, but as many of us know already, we can unofficially run our boards at PC1066/533MHz.

Enigma422 said:

The Abit TH7-II does not officially support PC1066 RDRAM since the i850 was made for a 400MHz FSB, though many could already run their Abit TH7-II at PC1066. I doubt that the Abit TH7-II will ever officially support PC1066/533MHz FSB since if they do that with a simple BIOS they won't be making any money over if they just sell a new board that officially supports PC1066/533MHz FSB. Why do you think Intel is releasing an i850E probably already knowing the original i850 supports the faster bus/memory, but as many of us know already, we can unofficially run our boards at PC1066/533MHz.

you are Wrong! there may not be "official" support for the 1066 yet but Mr Natural in this board got samples of 1066 RDRAM (not overclocked) and they work on the board, so your doubts about the RDRAM are wrong.

I am not wrong, look at Asus, they're coming out with a board in May that officially supports PC1066, while their board that they have out now already does PC1066 unofficially. The i850E chipset will officially support PC1066 and all boards with this chipset will have official support. The way I see it, the i850E is just a marketing ploy to sell more boards since many boards with the i850 already can do PC1066, but hey who can blame a buisness for just trying to make money.

Enigma422 said:
I am not wrong, look at Asus, they're coming out with a board in May that officially supports PC1066, while their board that they have out now already does PC1066 unofficially. The i850E chipset will officially support PC1066 and all boards with this chipset will have official support. The way I see it, the i850E is just a marketing ploy to sell more boards since many boards with the i850 already can do PC1066, but hey who can blame a buisness for just trying to make money.

The Abit Th7II Does support PC1066 these Sticks work with it, may not be official support yet as this Ram is not even out yet. Yes the i850E is another marketing ploy, and the next line of Northwoods will be even smaller than the current ones to make it look like its worth buying their latest chips and chipsets.

Well I just wanted to update everyone. I ordered the Asus P4T-E with the intel 850 chipset. I got the 1.6a Northwood chip with it. I got 2 128 mb kingston Rimms for it. I think I made a good choice I'm gonna see how it does. i got them from Newegg and should have it by wednesday. Thanks everyone for the input.

Daniel

P4 "B" CPUs

Hey guys, the 533FSB P4s will probably be less overclockable than the current 400FSB P4s. Remember the P3 133FSB (733) vs P3 100FSB (700)?
It will still be the same .13um core, just a lower multiplier and higher FSB.

Just a thought...

Back