• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accuracy of Asus PC Probe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

Ok, after reading some other posts, some people mention that the Asus Probe is not completly accurate as far as reporting CPU temps. Some say its like 10'C too high? I have a PIII500@551 and seems like my temps are too high....at idle its about 38' but when running media player or graphichs, it gets up to like 45-50C! Once in a while it "jumps" to like 70 but its back within a sec or two. I have a dual-fan Antec at about 5400rpm with a PSU rear exhaust fan and a front mount 80mm intake fan....

Im ready to sell this entire setup within the next 2 weeks since im building a totaly new AMD system, but want to make sure its stable for the guy I sell it too....He will be using this PC in a recording studio for music remixig, etc.

Any advice?

I was thinking of putting some AS III on the CPU once I get my package.....Also seen from other posts that a chipset fan would help out... Well as you can see dont want to spend hardly any money since im selling it :cool:

Anyone? I heard again today in another post that the Probe is off by a full 10'C! :eh?:

My TUSL2-C works properly but sometimes the cooler fan RPM jumps to 0 and then back up again. Dunno why? Btw, I'm using FOP32-1.

We seem to have basicly the same system and my temps run high too. I have used Asus Probe and MBM5 and they both show about the same temps. I do believe them to be around 10* to high. I have the Katmai processor and I have read that they do run hot. Mine has always been stable, so I tend to ignore the temp readings in general. Anytime to processor does the slightest thing the temp will jump. I have not tried watercooling. I am content with the system as is and I too am going to be building a new AMD system soon. :)

ASUS P4T-E

It was more like 20c higher for me, and it did not vary as much as MBM5... I tend to believe MBM5 more.

shadow

i concurr...

The Asus PC Probe is also not accurate with the Voltage readings.

I ran my comp right beside an airconditioner at full blast. It was freezing. And still the Probe said a reading of around 40 C for my Celeron.

Obviously, it is wrong.

by Temp's:
i think Probe (the same like i-Panel) is to high 5°C-7°C
MBM5 is to low 5°C
between them is true
my Room is not so cool as in the pic ;)
(in the Morning my Wather-Cooling , IHS off)

Personally, I think the software is accurate. The problem comes with the cpu internal diode being out of calibration. Don't remember the link, but it's possible to calibrate the diode. Do a web search for "cpu internal diode calibration", it should pop up.

As far as your system, perhaps you should just clock the cpu down to the default speed of 500 MHz. The 50MHz OC isn't buying a whole lot in terms of performance and it sounds like the buyer is more interested in stability than shaving off a half second here or there. That way you can take away any doubt. :)

Back