• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

440BX- Onboard Video Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

As most of y'all know, I have a Compaq 4880 [P// 400MMX, DVD ROM, TDK VeloCD, 256MB Crucial]. I like to take the PC apart every once in a while for cleaning, and I noticed this time that the schematic has a listing of "video memory" modules on the mobo itself, they're 2 of them... about 2" long and 1/4" wide. The onboard video is an ATI Rage Pro, I was wondering if these "video memory" sticks can be upgraded, and if so where can I purchase them? Any replies are greatly appreciated.

probably just a leftover from an earlier board revision- onboard video usually uses system memory thru the AGP bus. OF course the BX is so old it could be! Best bet would be to get in contact with the board manufacturer.

I've got a 1 year old Hewlett Packard box here, a Celeron 667- there are 2 empty spots on the motherboard, labelled as cache memory! They haven't used on-mobo cache for years and years, they must be reusing the same board layout over and over with just minor changes. I bet I could find more weird stuff like that if I looked:)

BX boards don't have any provisions for shared video memory. So when video was added, usually that ATI Rage Pro setup, it needed to have it's own RAM added on the motherboard. AFAIK, you can't upgrade it.

Thanks guys, question about another thing on the board. It has an expansion slot called the "riser card slot" it comes with a "riser card", that has 5 PCI slots, and a few or the black slots. I was wondering if I can get a "riser card" that supports AGP?

Back