• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II-Raid with PC1066 at 1178mhz mem speed (56K WARNING! PICS INSIDE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrNatural

Ok guys and gals. Thought I would toss these pics up at you so you can see just what this board can do when pushed and nudged the right way. Just to let you know, the CPU is unlocked so that's why I can get the multiplier at that setting so don't throw knives saying it's BS. Anyway. The system is all air cooled and I have 2 60mm sitting over the RDRAM and the northbridge to keep them cool. I have put AS II onto the northbridge in helping it to run cooler. I have booted at 200mhz FSB putting the cpu FSB at 800mhz and the memory at 1200mhz but it was just to flakey in XP to get anywhere.

Oh well. Here's the pics so enjoy. If you have any questions as to the mods then don't mind asking. Will help if I can. So now on with the pics.

wcpuid196fsb-1176rdram.JPG

ss2k2rdraminfo1.JPG
ss2k2rdraminfo2.JPG

ss2k2rdrambench.JPG

Please do me a favor Redphex. Please don't dr00l. It could fall onto your key board and short it out. Then you would be blaming me for it and I just don't need the hassle right now. :p :D

MrN, how different would your results be with the same mem core but with different multiplier and FSB settings? (a multiplier higher than 10 and an FSB lower than the 19x.x that you have now?:eh?: )

I would like to know what you normally run it at and what is the chip exactly i.e. 1.6A, 2.0A, etc. Surely you must clock it higher and turn down the fsb a little?

I've found that as the fsb speed drops and the CPU speed increases with the multiplier, you won't see as good of performance from the RDRAM. Take a look at the speed bench above. If I was to slow the FSB down to say 148mhz and set the rdram multiplier to 4. That would still give me a rdram speed of 592/1184. Now you would think that is just as good but you should note that when you lowered the FSB for the system it lowered the overall CPU FSB from around 790mhz down to 590mhz. This is a drop of 200mhz in bandwidth from the memory to the Northbridge and the CPU. This in turn will lower the effective throughput of the RDRAM from what you see above to around 36xx-37xx. This is a large drop in rdram throughput which then will have an affect on any caching and dma thransfers such as HD and AGP Texture and such.

The chip I have running in the test above is a 1.9ghz Willimette and not a Woody. I can take it upto 2.2ghz but the Willimettes don't do so good any higher than that. I do have some Woodys here and they will do 2.66ghz and they are 2.0a Woodys. So that puts the FSB at 133/533 for both the CPU and the memory.

Last edited:
Truly, though, there has to be some sort of trade-off between the highest FSB setting that can be obtained and the actual multiplier of the CPU (having a locked processor in mind). Is this where the different Northies and their frequencies come into play (for instance differences in oc potential between an 1.6A and a 1.8A and so on and so forth?:eh?: )

Btw, MrN r u still JMO? I thought u were MO :D

Back