• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit sd7533

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eciti

Hello everyone, I am new to this board with limited oc experience.

My p3 800 quitted last week and I was in a hurry getting a new pc. I found 3dgameman website's info on p4 1.6a oc to 2.4 to be very attractive. So I basically copy the setup. I got an abit sd7533, a p4 1.6a, 512mb samsung 2700ddr, high point 133 raid with 40g maxtor 133 hd. I set the fsb at 150 with 4/5/2/1. My system is using a 300w ps which came with the case. Cpu temp at 42C idle, and 55 full load with cpu at 1.625v.

Everything works fine with a fresh w2k setup without highpoint adaptor connected to the hd. (hd was connected to mobo). Then I installed the driver for highpoint 133, and later connect my hd to the adaptor. My system then would not boot as all, I mean it would not even boot from a, c, scsi nor cdrom. The cursor stop at"updating escd". I started to look for help on the net with my back up computer, from high point, maxtor, to forums. I beleive I have tried every suggestions out there. I tried to forced escd update, reinstall w2k with highpoint connect to hd, I even tried lower fsb to 100, and other setting, nothing work. The highpoint adator is actually the second adaptor my vendor gave me, the first one was a silicon image, same problem. Have any of you had any problems like mine? I really don?t know what to do with it.

The second problem I encountered is my agp card. I do mostly 2d and 3d games sometimes. I am using a matrox g400max becasue of the dual monitors feature. My system runs rock stable on 2d environments. However, once I play 3d games, the graphic appears washed out, locks up, and the game shuts down. I have tried many different settings on the softmenu to get 3d to work without success. What is the problem? I suspect maybe the matrox card could not handle my system?s speed, since it is a 32mb sgram card. What do you think? In addition, I heard that if the +5v is below 5 is a serious sign of lack of juice, is it true? My is running at 4.87.

Many thanks,

Well to start off, when you switched over to the HPT controller you needed to do a repair for the W2K install. Infact if I were you I would simply do a reinstall of the whole system but this time using the HPT controller to start with. Just be sure to install the drivers at the start of the W2K install when it ask for any third party scsi drivers.

I would also maybe add just a little higher rated PSU. Maybe 400w. That way you should have no problems from it being pulled thin by what you have attached to it. Always better to have to much wattage rating than to little.

On the +5v, it can be fine down to 10% below it's +5v level which would put it at 4.5v. The one you need to watch tho on a P4 mobo is the +12v. If it dropes to 11.5 or below then look to have problems.

Have you run SP2 or DX81 on your W2K install? If you'ld like I can send you a install list for your system that should clear up alot of problems.

MrNatural,

Thanks for advise. I have spent 3 full days doing just about everything imaginable, including reinstalling the whole thing with high point attached to hd, hit f6 and added the highpoint driver. However, it would only boot to "updating escd", and a blinking cursor. Oh, I remember I could not install with high point attached, because it would not boot from a,c,scsi, nor cdrom. SO I had to connect my hd to the mobo, format c drive, get the w2k installation going, hit f6, and later connect my hd to high point. The result is same as install with a repair on w2k. I have service pack 2 installed, but don't know what is dx81.

BTW, Do you know what happen to my agp? My old p3 800 would do better in 3d than this new machine. Yes, the matrox is pulled from my old rig. Maybe you can suggest a good agp card with dual monitors support.

eciti:rolleyes:

saytan,

Oh my god, how dumb can I get?! I've got to go get an IQ test. I have completely forgotten the SIS driver. AGP is working normailly now, thanks a ton. BTW, my cpu temp is about 45C during normal use under 133fsb, and about 55C during full load benchmark test. Add about 5C when under 150fsb. Are this number normal? I have my cpu at 1.625v.

Thanks again,

eciti,

:D

I've noticed that the SD7-533 has an odd temp read out which the system temp reads the same or higher than the CPU. Highest I get is around 53c also but the system temp will show around 56c which is not even right because I have the side off and a fan blowing into the case.

MrNatural

I finally got my system running smoothly. I had to install the SIS agp driver, then uninstall the matrox driver, and finally reinstall the matrox driver to get 3d to work.

YOu were saying "system temperature". Do you mean the temperature reading in Bios Setup? I got my readings from Hardware Doctor which came with my mobo. THis temp reading is lower by about 2-3C from the temp reading from Bios Setup. I don't know why or how it happens either. However, people are getting temp in high 20"s or low 30's, I wonder how they get these numbers wihtout water cooling. Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

Eciti,

Re: MrNatural

eciti said:
I finally got my system running smoothly. I had to install the SIS agp driver, then uninstall the matrox driver, and finally reinstall the matrox driver to get 3d to work.

YOu were saying "system temperature". Do you mean the temperature reading in Bios Setup? I got my readings from Hardware Doctor which came with my mobo. THis temp reading is lower by about 2-3C from the temp reading from Bios Setup. I don't know why or how it happens either. However, people are getting temp in high 20"s or low 30's, I wonder how they get these numbers wihtout water cooling. Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

Eciti,

Good to hear you got it going. As for the temps I was taking about in XP using the Hardware Doctor. The system temos would shoot up over that of the CPU temps no matter what I tried doing. Strange. Still working on trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
I have the SD7-533 and have had no major problems with it. My 2.0a Northwood with a sunflower fan idles at 36C running at 2.8Ghz and maxes out at 47C under flask. The earliest BIOS A5J allows the vCore to be adjusted up to 2.2volts(I use 1.65volts). Since you can't raise the RAM voltage, use Kingmax PC2700 which doesn't need extra voltage, even at 200Mhz...Mark

markst1,

Sorry for late reply.

I have samsung pc2700 in my system, and they seem to be fairly stable. I have tried running my 1.6a at 133fsb and 150 fsb, and the system is stable. The only concerned I have is the temperature. According to WINBOND hardware Doctor, my cpu temp idles at 46C, and hit 59C at full load playing 3d games. I see that you are using Sunflower. DO you see the need for me to get one of them? IS Sunflower noisy? I still have a tube of thermal compound I bought several years ago from RadioShack, should I get a new tube, or may be Artic Silver?

Thanks in advance,

eciti,

Eciti, I am using Arctic Silver(first version) and an AVC Sunflower fan. Arctic Silver will typically bring down CPU temps(relative to regular thermal compound,which is usually a zinc oxide paste) by about 2-3 degrees. The Sunflower fan is at my personal limit of noise tolerance( I'm probably more irritated by noise than most people). I squeezed a blob onto the chip, licked my middle fingertip, and spread it in a thin even layer over the chip, and clamped the crap out of it. I use the Sunflower because the only better heat sink cost 3 times as much and is only slightly better. I also have a case that came with a factory installed side-panel fan. My 400 watt power supply fan is better than most. You should try to bring your max temps below 50C...Mark

markst1:)
thanks for posting useing the early version that will let you increase your cpu volts up to 2.21,i been looking all over for info.didn't think the first version would have that,i could see a newer version would,but they removed the higher voltage increase..

im glad you mention this,other wise i wouldn't have'nt known.maybe its posted somewhere else too,i didn't read all the threads yet,i just registered:)this fourm is the best i ever seen..hehe

im reinstalling win98,and xp,dual boot,i had samsung,but i switched to my kingsmax 2700.i have afew extra memchips,i put in one 256 stick for now..

my system
abit sd7-533
1.6anorthwood
evga ti600 128 ram
ata133 40 gig maxtor
promise controller 133 tx2
300watt psu came with case,im sure i need a better psu
duct fan,intake,eguast fans

evga is sending out free vivo upgrage kits too,cables,bios,cd,they had some problems with the thermal pads,they replaced my card,think for preorder ppl only,the kit im sure of.heres the link if anyone owns one,or plan on buying one,there tech support is excelant,very good..

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=84
eVGA.com will be supplying Video In & Video Out (VIVO) upgrade kits to support all e-GeForce4 Ti4600 and e-GeForce4 Ti4400 owners. All of the previously sold eVGA.com e-GeForce4 Ti cards are capable of supporting Video In & Video Out (VIVO) features. We will be posting information about our FREE VIVO upgrade kit on April 15, 2002,this prob shouldn't go here,trying to be cool:))

only thing im not sure how high you can go on the voltage with a 1.6a,plus i don't quit understand the dividers,i do some.i have to read more,if you or anyone else know aspecialy the how high can i increase the voltage,i don't wanta fry my cpu,hehe

any input on this would be great,please exuse my spelling and puncitation..anyways thanks much,cya

[email protected]

marcus:

Here is an excerpt from Intel's Northwood datasheet:

http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864302.pdf

~whispell\max1.gif

Here is a plot of the voltage my 2.0a required to run stable on my sd7-533:

Voltage%20vs%20Speed.gif

Last edited:
hey thanks pressurecooker and mr natual for the info,i will check out the pdf file,im looking at the chart now:)

i need 222 memory for one,a better psu,mineis 300 watt,some prob unknown brand,im gona go with a koolance set up,prob with a danger den cpu waterblock.i don't have the money at the moment..thats a good deal on the koolance.the lilian cases are too much...ive read somewhere in here what psu's are good.mr natual,don't worry about that i can't see the pics,

i may buy the koolance in may,im on dissablity:(divorced,thank god.hehe live back home.i have more money now..anyways thanks guys for the help:)

btw i set my 1.6a to 1.675,the temp went to high,like 138 f..i need watercooling,instead of buying a better heatsink,im gona buy the koolance,unless its not that good,i read reviews on it.the psu will cost some bucks.in time due.hehe cyas..

Markus, you really don't need watercooling to get serious overclocks with a 1.6a. Just get an AVC Sunflower fan (cheapest in its class), a tube of Arctic Silver, and a sidepanel fan in your case aimed at your RAM. You should be idling at about 36C/48C maxxed out with 1.675 volts. That is what I'm running and my CPU is at this moment at 34C. Total cost about $40. With that setup I can boot at 2.92Ghz and play games at 2.82Ghz...Mark

hi markst1,thanks for the sugestion..
i have a standered case,its nice looking,theres no place for a fan in the side of the case.i used to do heating refrigeration work,i know how to cut holes,hahaha prob use tin snips and i downed some temp plates awhile back online i can use..or use a hole metelsaw drill it out..i could also cut a blow hole in the top too

prob a heat spreader would help too.i could temperaly set a fan near the ram,for now.your way is better,to get fresh air in.

i used artic 3 on the cpu,i have that set.i have a cool duct fan which helps alot.i have good fans too,think there antec fans,i don't think the intake is pulling enough air in,the way the case is set up..

my system has an evga ti 600 with a 300 watt psu,i don't think is enough.if i add more fans,im sure i'll need a better psu,im gona buy anyways.prob a 400 or 450watt.i can swing that and a sunflower avc,what about a volcano 7 plus i here is good,its prob more money,i thought they were like 43 bucks..anyways thanks for the sugestions,

i'll let you know how it works out when i get these items,thaanks again mark:))

well i ordered a Enermax Whisper 431W EG465P-VE(FC) Switching Computer Power Supply

and a Thermaltake VOLCANO 7+ CPU Cooler

hopely have them by friday,i read good reviews on the volcano 7 +

these items should help alot.hehe

well i got some fans installed.my cpu is running around 44 c.my asus board p4s333 useing the p4533 bios runs around 25 c,and up to 27 or so on load.i think the senser maybe bad on the abit board.not sure..its running ok,mid 40's isn't bad.i may switch back to my asus board,running 25 c,i couldn't belive my eyes.the bios read the same and the asus probe also..

im useing the volcano 7+,i drilled a hole in the side of the block.and stuck a flat sensor in the tight and sealed it with as 3..drilling the hole,was tricky,i didn't wanta drill throught the heat sink.the temps are about 5 degrees off.not to bad.at first i waqs running 140 f temps.one of my brqcket clips broke.

i sued machined metel screws on both boards,those plastic pegs suck,plastic washers on the back side,to prevent shorts,the bracket will never come lose again,unless it breaks.haha..still have more overclocking to try,i get 2.4 or alittle higher on the abit,going above 150,it starts to act up.my asus board,i got 3100 memory results,temp running at 160 fsb.i need a higher cpu and prob 222 memory would help alot too...

my temps are still too high

i installed a volcano 7+,my temps are still high,119 f 50 they go up and down.i read some on the raid boards strange temps,i think the senosrs are bad on alot of these boards..1.6a

and my sd7-533 died.now i have to send it back,with a letter to as why the temps are so hi..my asus p4s333 useing a ps533 bios is at 28c idle the load temps i forget.not sure yet just modded my case with abunch of fans,its always ran low temps.in bios,the probe,etc..

once i overclock the asus mb,my temps drop,they did before.i love it,but i need to do apin job to raiase my v.c..im gona rma my board the abit.i replaced the cheap plastic pins with screws and nuts..even with the plastic pins that hold the cpu bracket down..still ran to hi of temps,i think,runing 82 f on my asus.i'll beable to overclock pretty good..just installed it today..omethings wrong with the abit temps.

another msi 6457 n ightmare,my temps are running with a willie 1.9 34c,just installed that one after my abit screwed up..

Back