• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Components for a new box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeward

Registered
My grandfather wants me to build him a new PC. He doesn't have many requirements except that it has to be Intel based, over 1.0Ghz (No AMD...it took me long enough to convince him that he didn't need a math co-processor anymore that I didn't even want to start down the AMD path). I figured I'd go with a Celeron 1.1~1.3 instead of springing for a Woody or Willy. Which mobo should I get? I saw the thread about 1.2 Celeron but that looked more for overclocking than what he needs it to do.

I'm trying to keep this as far under $1000 as possible. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Mobo--Unknown
CPU--Celeron 1.2 or 1.3 $75-$85
RAM--256 MB $40
Video Card--GeForce2MX $65
HDD--Maxtor 40GB $65
Sound--SB! PCI128 $15
DVD -- Toshiba 16X $50
CDRW -- Unknown --Thinking of the Sony I have at $90
Case/PS -- $45 (how big of a PS do I need?)

I think that's what I've got so far...About $500 without mobo and monitor. The two of those shouldn't cost anymore than $250, so I think I'm sitting pretty...Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Back