• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial? OCZ>Good or Bad???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elmokiddo

Registered
It seems like alot of people dont like OCZ, from what ive seen theyre benchs are pretty good, the high end stuff comes with Copper sinks pre installed and they have PC3000 at CL2,
+ this stuff is cheap considering it includes a copper sink

now im not trying to defend OCZ or anything but why dosn't anyone like them?

and if anyone can give me any pointers I pretty much have a choice between Crucial DDR2100 at $169CAD or OCZ PC3000 at $169CAD for my new system im gonna run a A7V333 on it.

The store dosn't have the rev2pc3000 or pc3200 ocz stuff yet so i dunno what the exact price will be.

Elmokiddo(a.k.a. Fighter5)

It never lives up to expectations, its just overclocked Crucial PC-2100 memory.
Most of the time it doesn't even work at those high frequency's, just buy Crucial and it will probably exceed that speed with some Voltage.

Or buy TRUE PC-3000 when its out. Wait and see!

OCZ

Maximus Nickus said:
It never lives up to expectations, its just overclocked Crucial PC-2100 memory.
Most of the time it doesn't even work at those high frequency's, just buy Crucial and it will probably exceed that speed with some Voltage.

Or buy TRUE PC-3000 when its out. Wait and see!

I believe the rev 1 OCZ stuff was cas7.5 that OC'd well and the newer rev 2 stuff is cas6. Much like the older Kingmax PC2700 7.5ns vs 5ns, which is now being standardized as 6ns, apparently. OCZ has been bashed aplenty for failure to perform, but all sticks by all manufacturers are different. And since PC2700, 3000, etc are still pretty new, its just not perfected yet. Kingmax and Corsair get better reviews, so look into those brands. Crucial is coming out with PC2700 pretty soon as well. So, unless you're building a new system right now, my advice is to watch and wait. A lot of opinions get passed around, and sometimes people who don't even have the stuff will echo the opinions of others.

Re: OCZ

Arkaine23 said:

I believe the rev 1 OCZ stuff was cas7.5 that OC'd well and the newer rev 2 stuff is cas6. Much like the older Kingmax PC2700 7.5ns vs 5ns, which is now being standardized as 6ns, apparently. OCZ has been bashed aplenty for failure to perform, but all sticks by all manufacturers are different. And since PC2700, 3000, etc are still pretty new, its just not perfected yet. Kingmax and Corsair get better reviews, so look into those brands. Crucial is coming out with PC2700 pretty soon as well. So, unless you're building a new system right now, my advice is to watch and wait. A lot of opinions get passed around, and sometimes people who don't even have the stuff will echo the opinions of others.

Cas7.5?? Cas6???:D

I think you mean 7.5ns or 6ns chips.
These chips are much like on graphics boards, the better they are (lower ns value) the better they will overclock and perform.
Its all down to specified ratings of the chips.

M_N

sleepless

I work all night long and post a lot while I'm working.... must've needed some sleep that night. cas=ns in my previous post

Last edited:
Tell you what, I had excellent luck with my older OCZ pc-150+ and it was great stuff, both sticks.

I also had one stick of OCZ pc2400 and it also was a quality stick.....But I have read so many horror stories that I would just buy some Crucial if I was in the market for some memory.

I read good things about Hynix sticks and I just got it today and its nothing but a headache.

I'm sticking with Crucial but I wouldnt tell anyone not to get pc2700 Kingmax w/5ns chips as many people seem to like that as well.

Kingmax

Get the Kingmax right away, and verify with the vendor that they send you the 5ns stuff. I heard that Kingmax was switching its PC2700 to 6ns.

bench

Probably not much difference in a bench if they're tested at the same FSB. Whether one functions at higher FSB's than the other is the real question.

Dave65 tested a stick of Kingmax PC2700 vs a stick of OCZ PC2700 in Sandra2k2, both at 157 FSB and the same memory timings. The resulting benchmark figures were EXACTLY the same. Also, he was not able to get higher FSB with the Kingmax than with the OCZ. So the ram was apperantly not the limiting factor for his overclock.

Last edited:
Crucial

Yeah, my girlfriend's T-bird system can get a little more than 160 FSB with a stick of Crucial at 2.7v. Better FSB than my rig on her budget rig, darnit! But again, I think a PCI card is stopping me.

Try upping the Voltage to 3.2V (like me:D ) and change the 1T command to 2T.

It should give you about 5mhz more. The voltage will give you even more!
PCI cards are normally good for around 175FSB...Mushkin Rules even has his going at 210FSB! And someone measured the PCI and said it was at spec at 200FSB!!!
I love my 8KHA+!!!!

Good Luck,
M_N

vdimm

Need a volt mod to go above 2.7v... the only thing I have to complain about the Shuttle boards I've run so far. 2t/1t and cas2/cas2.5 don't let me get any higher with FSB :confused: It can handle the FSB I'm running at default voltage, but I give it more anyway.

Think its my SIIG 5 port USB card... gotta take that out, I don't need it. And I have a 2nd hdd to install and some good old formatting and reinstalling windows and my apps, so I'm just not motivated to start on it all yet. Maybe tomorrow...

I have 2 sticks OCZ PC-2400 DDR and can't complain about a thing!!

I bought my sticks from different resellers, which weren't very well know and everything went fine. But for those who don't want to take a chance dealing with some of the smaller resellers that you aren't familiar with... NewEgg is carrying OCZ memory now, so you're getting the good performance and price of OCZ, and the reliable customer service of NewEgg!!

Re: vdimm

Arkaine23 said:
Need a volt mod to go above 2.7v... the only thing I have to complain about the Shuttle boards I've run so far. 2t/1t and cas2/cas2.5 don't let me get any higher with FSB :confused: It can handle the FSB I'm running at default voltage, but I give it more anyway.

Think its my SIIG 5 port USB card... gotta take that out, I don't need it. And I have a 2nd hdd to install and some good old formatting and reinstalling windows and my apps, so I'm just not motivated to start on it all yet. Maybe tomorrow...

My big problem with them as well. Kingmax stick came in DOA so I stuck the Crucial in. Gotta brag a little (lot). Finally got some fsb.

xp1600, crucial at 188 fsb, 2.9v.

Re: vdimm

Arkaine23 said:

Theres always tommorow!

Silver did you say 188FSB???? With just 2.9V??????? Man I reckon you could hit 400DDR with 3.2V.....
But is it Cas2?:p

vmods

I found Doctor's vmod's for my board and will consider putting that high on my list of things to do....

Re: Re: vdimm

Maximus Nickus said:

Theres always tommorow!

Silver did you say 188FSB???? With just 2.9V??????? Man I reckon you could hit 400DDR with 3.2V.....
But is it Cas2?:p

The results you see above however sisoft shows it at 2.5 though it is set at 2.0 and sisoft agrees that all other settings are fastest. Must be defaulting or getting it off the ram. Timings are as fast as allowable save for the 2.5. The stick of Kingmax arrived DOA so as soon as I get that RMA'ed and back I'll run it up and see what it will do.

elmokiddo said:
It seems like alot of people dont like OCZ, from what ive seen theyre benchs are pretty good, the high end stuff comes with Copper sinks pre installed and they have PC3000 at CL2,
+ this stuff is cheap considering it includes a copper sink

now im not trying to defend OCZ or anything but why dosn't anyone like them?

and if anyone can give me any pointers I pretty much have a choice between Crucial DDR2100 at $169CAD or OCZ PC3000 at $169CAD for my new system im gonna run a A7V333 on it.

The store dosn't have the rev2pc3000 or pc3200 ocz stuff yet so i dunno what the exact price will be.

Elmokiddo(a.k.a. Fighter5)
It was never OCZ anyways.....a reseller called the overclockerz store is the one w/ the bad rep.
OCZ Technology is totally seperate....here> www.ocztech.com

also-check out the benchmarks of the DDR 400 mhz
420%20bench.jpg

Back