• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Thermaltake Active RAM Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

Has anyone used, or know people who have used Thermaltake's Active RAM Cooling? It seems like a good idea to me but I'd like to hear what people who have used it think?

ram cooling

Just the heatspreader, or the heatspreader with the fan on top? I've got the plain old heatspreader, and IMO it looks cool. Maybe it drops the temp a half a degree, and maybe it helps with the OC, but probably not. It was free though, so I can't complain. At really high FSB speeds maybe these things would be more usefull...
Real heatsinks on the chips would be better, but you wouldn't have a lot of room for more than a single stick of ram then. Fans are a plus any way you slice it.

The Active cooler is the one with a fan. That's the one I'm thinking about. Would it make a significant difference if you were running say PC133 at 150?

ram coolers

You can probably get 150 on that without the heatspreader, but cooling it will give you peace of mind(especially if you have to up the voltage), and as I said before, it looks cool. If the $10 or whatever is not a prob, go for it. It can't hurt.

mem sinks

Are DDR and regular sdram the same size? Make sure it'll fit b4 you buy.

It says it fits both DDR and SDRAM. It's only like $18 Cdn for the thing and it deffinatly looks cool. I'll probably end up getting it, just hoping someone can tell me if it makes a real difference.

mem heatspreaders

Unfortunately, that is still a matter of debate in these forums. A better heatsink/fan for your cpu might be a better purchase.

Stryfe said:
It says it fits both DDR and SDRAM. It's only like $18 Cdn for the thing and it deffinatly looks cool. I'll probably end up getting it, just hoping someone can tell me if it makes a real difference.

i have the kit and so far it hasn't made a difference over when i just had the heatspreaders. TT should have designed it will a bigger fan or something. It looks great and maybe i got a 1 or 2 degree drop but no extra performance.

Re: mem heatspreaders

Arkaine23 said:
Unfortunately, that is still a matter of debate in these forums. A better heatsink/fan for your cpu might be a better purchase.

hehe, point taken :)
I've been sorta looking around at all types of cooling lately.
I think a Thermalright AX-7 is in order before the RAM cooling probably. My CPU runs at 55C under load with the Volcano 2 junk on it now :/

temps and OC

55C is too hot for me. An AX-7 would be a great investment, as well as a beefy fan, and some Arctic Silver 3.

DON'T USE! THE TAPE used to apply them can act as an insulator, not only that the removal of the kits (if mounted incorrectly) can lead to chips being ripped off.

Simply mount a fan blowing through the fins of the RAM, even at 3.2V 200FSB, Cas2 you don't need cooling, but for peace of mind, run a fan. (60MM oir better 80MM for noise control).

Good Luck,
M_N

i have them and they look awesome. i think that is the only
plus is the looks :p

Stryfe said:
Has anyone used, or know people who have used Thermaltake's Active RAM Cooling? It seems like a good idea to me but I'd like to hear what people who have used it think?

My my my, that Avatar looks familiar :mad:

Yeah someone just told me yesterday that you use the same avatar. I'd been using this for months before I even joined the forum, on livejournal.
Got it off a Radiohead site quite a while ago. It's actually originally meant to be an AIM icon.
You a big Radiohead fan too? I love them, listen to their CDs constantly. (or did you know that's a Radiohead logo?)

I've read 3 reviews that put the temp drop at 5 degrees. I have one and may put a better fan on it.

Back