• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best BIOS for TuSL2C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuSEQ

Registered
Hi all,

I've got this TuSL2C mobo, and a P3 1GHz. I am trying to overclock this PC to 160MHz FSB with moderate success. I 've had noname RAM up to 154FSB, Mushkin Rev.2 up to 153 (both 1*256), and now I have Mushkin Rev.3 (2*128). The problem is, I can't get over this 155FSB limit stable, and it's not caused by the CPU, as I have tested it with PC180 RAM, and this combination ran just fine @ 160FSB. I define "max stable FSB" as running SuperPi without errors, because those errors are most likely caused by a faulty RAM datatransfer. I stress the RAM quite a bit, by running it at 3.7V and the most agressive timings I can get. It can't be the temps, because @ 1.75V, it only gets 43°C with a Coolermaster/Delta combo.

The weirdest thing is, that WinXP shows me a BSOD at 157FSB and random resets at 155/156 (even whilst being errorless in SuperPi), but I am sure that the RAM can do 166 and up; the previous owner did this with a KT133A mobo... So right now, I am starting to suspect a less-than-opyimal BIOS. I have the "Evil inside" 1011 BIOS.

What versions do you use for optimal OC?

Gr, SuSEQ

the problem i noticed with the tusl2-c BIOSes is that ASUS is still fixing a lot of stuff with each newer version. if you check all the fixes for the 1011 you perhaps wont even try out the 1010 and older revisions... BUT, why not?
i have got problems with my video and decided to try out the latest three or four mainboard bios revisions, nothing really help for me but i would also try out them in your case.
just go here and get some so you can test them out.
good luck,.

oTTO said:
the problem i noticed with the tusl2-c BIOSes is that ASUS is still fixing a lot of stuff with each newer version. if you check all the fixes for the 1011 you perhaps wont even try out the 1010 and older revisions... BUT, why not?
just go here and get some so you can test them out.
good luck,.
So I guess it's back to the 1009 Bios the board came with... Imight test the other OC bioses I have, maybe something's in there.

Thx for your reply! ;)

Gr, SuSEQ

SuSEQ, whats your video card and how is your AGP interface set to, 2X or 4X? have you ever got hard lockups while running 3d applications?
thanks.

oTTO said:
SuSEQ, whats your video card and how is your AGP interface set to, 2X or 4X? have you ever got hard lockups while running 3d applications?
thanks.
I have an ancient Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor TNT2 Pro with 16 megs SDRAM; it only supports AGP 2X, so I can't possibly tell if my mobo runs stable at AGP 4X... ;)

I _have_ had harware lockups whilst running 3D apps, but those were solely the result of excessive graphics card overclocking... The TNT2 now runs happily at 160/190; top speed is 174/206, but then I get artifacts in games (but not in 3DM2k1).

I also think you have to know (nevermind if you already did) that this board sets the AGP to 2x if it is even just the slightest bit overclocked; even if you select it to be 4X. RAM timings are also overridden and lowered in the same way. This can be undone by using an OC bios from http://www.x86-secret.com

Gr, SuSEQ

[edit]Bad URL... :([/edit]

Last edited:
bios 1009 will give you the highest voltage adjustment range with a coppermine CPU...1010 and above adjusts voltage for Tualatin

The newer beta bioses aren't bad. The higher voltage adjustment for coppermines doesn't matter, since the VRM won't go over 1.825 anyway.

are you sure about that? I know bios 1010+ locks the max voltage at 1.825 for Tualatin but when I had a coppermine CPU with 1009 I could go up to 2.10V in the bios. I never did check this setting in any monitoring progs. though to make sure it was legit. That much voltage is ridiculous even for overclockers

is everyone using the tweaker bioses?
im going to try out the 1011 final, do u have any recommendations?

im facing some hard lockups when running direct3d applications. 4X is a lot instable and 2x is not good enough. nothing is overclocked. which tweaker bios do u think is the best?

the tweaked bios forces AGP 4X as well as several other options which increase performance while overclocked. The TUSL-2C defaults 3.3V to 3.45 and several users have problems b/c their AGP cards cant take the extra voltage. I beleive this can be changed via a jumper on the mobo. I'm not at home now but i'll check it out tonight for you

deez said:
the tweaked bios forces AGP 4X as well as several other options which increase performance while overclocked. The TUSL-2C defaults 3.3V to 3.45 and several users have problems b/c their AGP cards cant take the extra voltage. I beleive this can be changed via a jumper on the mobo. I'm not at home now but i'll check it out tonight for you
You don't have to check: It's those jumpers right next to the CPU fan header, leaning against two capacitors. When you face the board, the jumper's right position is 3.6V (3.7 with me), middle is 3.4v/default en left is 3.3V IIRC...

This remark of yours is pretty interesting; right now, I have the 3.70V setting, and having difficulties with the RAM...

Gr, SuSEQ

deez said:
are you sure about that? I know bios 1010+ locks the max voltage at 1.825 for Tualatin but when I had a coppermine CPU with 1009 I could go up to 2.10V in the bios. I never did check this setting in any monitoring progs. though to make sure it was legit. That much voltage is ridiculous even for overclockers

I found that with any bios that allows over 1.80, it would always hard lock if I select a voltage higher than 1.80

SuSEQ...let me know it that fixes the prob...the 1.7V setting is a bit high

h2k...are you sure that wasn't b/c you were pumping too much juice into the chip. I burned in my 1100E at 1.95V+ bios 1009

i tried setting it to the 3.3V but the problem just kept the same. not tryed the 3.6.
the default voltage for my processor is 1.65V but the bioses for the tusl2-c will all have the options beyond the 1.70V. the cpu is a pentium iii 800EB.

i think its really strange i cant set the agp interface to 4X. even 2X wont let me finish the 3dmark2k1SE tests. i have no clue anyomer.

deez said:
SuSEQ...let me know it that fixes the prob...the 1.7V setting is a bit high

h2k...are you sure that wasn't b/c you were pumping too much juice into the chip. I burned in my 1100E at 1.95V+ bios 1009

I know the the chip can take it, it did in my p3v4x! I used 1.85 and 1.90v. Always a blank screen.
The tualatin VRM 8.2 spec only allows 1.825 max.

Back