• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1-512 or 2-256? which is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSaddict

Im gonna get more memory and was just curious which is better to have 1 512 module or 2 256 modules, if they are Identical brands and speed? Just curious. Is one setup faster or better to O/C?

I think LESS sticks is better. Soem people have luck with multiple sticks, others swear that 1 OC's the best. I run 1 stick now 512MB but have run 2 and haven't seen THAT much improvement.

My tests show that w/ Samsung 2700, 1 256 stick is a little better than 1 stick of 512 which is a bit better than 2 sticks of 256 as far as Sandra is concerned.

In the tests I have seen 2 sticks are faster than 1..

Here is a simple explanation.

memory requests have cycles {CAS 2 CAS 3 ect.}

When memory requests are sent out to a single mudual u in fact have to wait for the cycles to complete.,

However if you have 2 sticks 2 requests can be made at the same time.And completed at the same time.

There is serious debates about this and I may not be exactly correct in my explanition but I personally would prefer 2 sticks of 256 over 1 stick of 512 ..............

Now for overclocking usually 1 stick is best because of inconsistancys in 2 sticks that may exist...

Fewer sticks is better / more stable at stock, but not for oc'ing. I don't know of many people who can get their FSB higher than 140-143Mhz using a 512Mb stick. But, if you have (2) 256Mb sticks, you can pump it up way higher (depending on your other system components).

Well, I have my single stick of 512 Samsung 333 in the 190-200 range at cas 2, 1T on the 8k3a.

Two sticks might be better than one, but with two you at least have a hot spare in place in case one fails and you need to pull it out until you can get a replacement. Might not happen very often, but it's a thought to consider.

I think the nforce chipsets sre designed to work better with 2 sticks but besides that I would say 1 stick is definitely better.

Back