• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you get the stock heatsink frame off a P4T-E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

Well I finally did the vid pin trick (pin hole method) and got my 1.6 a in place. Took me 15' since I kept dropping the piece of wire.

But I want to run a Nidec (actually a Sunflower) and how do you get that OEM heatsink frame off the board, so I can reuse it in case I sell the board? It seems you have to break the nubs off on the other side or something. Or use a needlenose pliers to crush the push tabs.

Also, how come the Intel heatsink on the 1.6a Malay I got is all aluminum? I thought the OEM heatsinks had a copper insert and were essentially Sunflowers with a slower fan? Mine is just a regular rectangular aluminum sink. Maybe Intel is switching sinks on later batchs of the CPU?

if you are using a sunflower, you can use the piece that is on the board right now, you dont need to use the one that came with the sunflower, that is what i did when i had a sunflower, the bracket that came with it is still in the box that it came in.:D

Your right Jdmcnugent. I found this out by taking off the bracket and noticing it's the exact same one as on my Nidec (Sunflower)!

BTW, I figured out how to get the bracket off, which you need to do if you use that new Alpha 8042 heatsink. You use a flathead screwdriver and pry the white caps up at each corner of the bracket (the are beveled so you can slip the screwdriver head under them). Then you can compress the brown tabs of the frame on the other side of the board and push them through the hole.

Back