• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDRAM Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

Ok I have check through the beginner guides and 8 pages of threads and could find nothing.

I just bought a MoBo combo and it came with 2 PC800 64mb modules. I looked in the motherboard manual and it says that both slots must either have a RIMM or a continuity RIMM in order for the system to boot.
I have also read in threads that Rambus is dual channel.

So my question is this:

1 Does the ram in the slots have to be the same size? ie: can I buy a 256RIMM and use 256 + 64 configuration?

2 Which would give me the best performance (not OCed) 256+64, 256+CRIMM, or 128+128?

Staz said:
Ok I have check through the beginner guides and 8 pages of threads and could find nothing.

I just bought a MoBo combo and it came with 2 PC800 64mb modules. I looked in the motherboard manual and it says that both slots must either have a RIMM or a continuity RIMM in order for the system to boot.
I have also read in threads that Rambus is dual channel.

So my question is this:

1 Does the ram in the slots have to be the same size? ie: can I buy a 256RIMM and use 256 + 64 configuration?

2 Which would give me the best performance (not OCed) 256+64, 256+CRIMM, or 128+128?

1. Yes, it must be the same size. You have to have at least 2 RIMMs because like you said it is dual channel. If your board has 4 RIMM slots, if you use 2 RIMMs, you must use 2 C-RIMMS in the other slots because this connects the circuit.

2. If you are not going to overclock your systme at all (i.e. ever) I would by 8 device RIMMs of whatever size you want. I just bought 2x256 (16 device though) meg Samsung not too long ago. I would go w/ at least 512 if you don't want to upgrade any time soon.

If you are thinking you might overclock, I would buy 16 device RIMMs because this is a more mature technology, and is what everyone is having success overclocking w/.

C-RIMMS?

What are C-RIMMS? The way you are talking, it's a "dummy" block of ram than needs to be plugged into the unused RAM slots in order to "complete" the curcuite. Well, do they come with the motherboard or waht?

Leviathan

You're exactly right. They are a 'dummy' RIMM stick that comes with your motherboard that is used to complete the circuit when you have only two sticks of Ram and have 4 ram slots.

Back