• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domain311

Registered
I'll be getting 512 to start with...just wondering which brand and the best place to get it would be. Thanks.

I got my Samsung ram from googlegear for pretty cheap. They were the least expensive of any store I checked. If you are going to be overclocking make sure to get the 16 device double sided becuase this overclocks a lot better than the 8 device ram.

Oh yea, go w/ Samsung...their's overclocks the best.

ok, I looked on their site...is the 512 mb ECC the 16 device? Just not sure because for the 256 modules it says "device 16", unlike the 512 which just says ECC. I plan on getting the 512, only for the reason of being able to upgrade to 1gb in the near future. Thanks again.

Domain311--

Do you know that if you get a rambus motherboard, that you have to have two sticks of ram because of the way rambus ram works? For instance, if you want 512 megs of ram, you have to buy 2x256 meg sticks. If you want to get 256 megs of total ram, you would have to buy 128 megs. I have 512 in my current rig made up of 2x256 16 device samsung ram.

On another note, if I were you, I'd stay away from ECC ram. This is mainly only used in servers and because of the extra error correcting that ECC ram does, it takes a little longer and therefore slows down your computer.

I can't tell if that 512 megabyte RIMM is 16 device or 8 device ram...but I am goign to guess it is 8 device for a couple of reasons. A 256 meg stick of 8-device ram is single sided because it uses the 256 megabit technology. A stick of 16-device 256 meg ram is double sided because it uses 128 megabit. I think that the 512 megabyte RIMM is just a double sided 8 device 256 megabyte chip.

Long story summed up right here. If you want 512 megs or ram, get TWO 256 meg 16 device sticks. Hope this helps.

p.s. Sorry I am a little long winded. It is really not as complicated as I made it sound...I have the tendency to walk myself around in circles :beer:

Yeah...sorry, I mighta made things sound confusing, but I do understand that rambus consists of 2 256 mb modules if you wanna get the 512. I figured when you buy the samsung 512mb for about 225$, you would get 2 256 mb pieces, therefore leaving enough room for 2 more...for the upgrade to 1 gb I mentioned. Like if I bought the 256 mb ....I thought I would get 2 128mb rimms to put in, which would only leave me room for 512 total memory seeing that id only have 2 slots left for the next 2 128's to go in. Now I'm confusing the hell outta myself :)

Bottom line...I'll get 2 256mb 16 device rimms....costing about 80-90 dollars each i believe. But still have room for 2 more 256's making 1gb in the future. Geeesh...I made this more confusing that it had to be I think. I guess being a newb is a good excuse though, right?:D

I appreciate the help!

rdram

Reply:Did you see where Intel is going to quit using Rambus.you should be able to get it on the cheap real soon.I have mushkin ddr memory and it is the best for my system.we tested mushkin,corsair,crucial,kingmax and the mushkin ran the best but no two systems have the exact setup that includes memory type,size cpu type clock speed,videocard,harddrive cpu fan.almost every system is one of a kind unless it is one of those god awful box computer from the fastfood type convienence superstores that don't know a processor from a alligator.if you pick corsair,mushkin,crucial,they will all do a super job for you.i always choose mushkin or corsair for my custom builds.

Linn li PC35 atx case
enermax 400 watt power supply
xp 2000 amd cpu overclocked to 2.1ghz
custom built water cooling
mushkin 1024 megs of ddr pc-2700 cas 2 memory
2 maxtor 80gig ata133 7200rpm harddrives raid striping
leadtec ti4600 geforce four videocard
Asus A7V333-R motherboard
plextor 40x cdrw drive
toshiba dvd rom
audigy soundcard
sony floppy drive
custom ide cables
samsung 32inch hdtv monitor via s-video cable
Yamaha RX-V2090 stereo 7 channel reciever
3-Klipsch professional horn speakers
2 paradigm reference 9semk3 surround speakers

Intel does plan on going away from Rambus, but we are talking about after 2005...... That’s not anytime soon, and prices will not drop for a while. They will continue to use the Rambus until then and maybe afterwards. So don’t go counting on prices to drop 3 or 4 years in advance........ Duh...... You need to look into what you post before you post it. Tparker don't give people wrong information, and make them ignorant to the subject too.

Btw, go with samsung its the best out there. I have 512 of it, and I kick *** on memory benchmarking. And it can overclock fairly high also.

I read somewhere that RDRAM has higher latency than DDR, but RDRAM can deliver higher bandwidth, probably because it's quad-pumped. how does it compare to the new PC3300 DDR (400MHZ, same as the RDRAM speed)?

BTW, have any of you upped the FSB to 133 MHZ, does/would this make the RDRAM go up to 533MHZ (133 x 4) ?

Back