• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingmax PC3200 (DDR400)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nitestorm

Registered
Anyone tried it yet? Curious as a UK retailer is meant to be getting some in this week. Haven't seen anything on the Kingmax site, but seen the press release on a few sites about it. Although looks as if DDR400 might never be a standard, even though it seems VIA and others will release chipsets supporting such memory soon.

I also notice the Kingmax PC2700 now come with 6ns chip, instead of 5ns chip as they did before. According to one website, the chips are exactly the same, but to avoid confusion (I guess now they are going to sell PC3200), Kingmax have gone with the industry standard for ratings. Now assuming both PC2700 and PC3200 use the same 5ns chips (just the ones on the PC2700 are labelled 6ns), it might suggest the difference between the two is the quality of the PCB and other components on the PCB that dictate if those chips can reach their rated 200MHz or not. So maybe chip rating is only one part of what makes an overclockable stick of memory?

Will be interesting to see how review sites handle reviewing it, as unless you know what you are doing, reaching 200MHz+ can be troublesome and not always the fault of the memory, at least with motherboards without a good pci divider range. Guess they could easily remove all PCI cards and disable UDMA as a quick way of testing, as that seems to allow many motherboards to run at 200MHz FSB without too much hassle.

Saw this pic on a few sites over the weekend showing the Kingmax PC3200 @ CeBIT, but I can only assume someone made a typo and it's meant to state 400MHz not 500MHz:

985989571.jpg

Those look FAKE to me

The biggest difference asides from the memory modules is that the older PC2700 sticks have better PCBs. The real DDR400s have them too. LOOK HERE for more info.

Back