• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help w/ DDR classifications and suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raley

Registered
Kind of unfamiliar with the different kinds of DDR available.

I am going to have an XP 1600+ on an Epox 8KHA+. I am planning on overclocking this and would like to know the difference between different kinds of DDR that are available and what would be optimal for my system.

First of all, PC2100, PC2400, PC2700, etc... what are the differences and what do I need? I'm assuming CAS2 would be the best in any situation right?

Next 256mb or 512mb? Does the increase help a lot? I will be doing normal stuff such as browsing the net ms word etc but also playing CS/War 3 (beta for now).

Now on whatever ram that I get, do I need the cooling units/heatsinks that you can buy for 9-12 dollars for each stick? Do they help and would they be needed for my situation?

I've heard about overclocking ram as well. What exactly does this mean and how can I do it? Does this help significantly?

Almost forgot to ask, what is the best brand that I could get for whatever you suggest/I do get? Or the top few that are always good...

Thanks for all the help you all can give me,

raley

PC2100 DDR is designed to run at 133MHz FSB (266MHz DDR), although you'll find quality memory will run faster (mine is running at 166MHz(333MHz DDR)

PC2400 and PC2700 are simply sticks that are guaranreed to run at a higher speed. I believe PC3000 graded sticks are out now.

For your proposed setup, with the 8KHA+, all you need is PC2100. Personally, I recommend Crucial/Micron though.........

thanks... but does anyone else have anymore suggestions? especially with ram type and amount... or with overclocking.. thanks a lot

raley

Back