• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

I have a few memory questions. I having some errors when I overclock my system, and I understand that they are from the memory. I was advised to up the voltage, but I want to know if that's a good idea. I can raise it from 2.5V to 2.625V or 2.75V. Which should I try, if either? Would these increases be enough, or too much? I don't want to fry my ram. Its from Zeus components, and it supposed to work up to 166MHz @ cas 2. The label says 5ns, but I think its 6ns, as the code on the chips ends in - 6.

My other question is about the ns rating. With all of these memory scandals going on, would it be wiser to judge ram performance by the ns rating, rather than the rating the company advertises? I'm told that if you divide 1000MHz by the ns rating, you will get the speed that your ram can safely run at. My memory was supposed to be 5 ns, but I'm almost certain that it is 6, as 1000/6 is 166MHz. Kingmax makes some PC2400 ram that is 5ns, could it run at 1000/5 = 200Mhz? I'm sick of buying things that don't do what they're supposed to.

Most memory modules will have no problems running 2.7V but it would be prudent to have a good amount of air flowing over them if they get hot. Usually Tiny BGAs perform better at default voltages. The problem is with Kingmax playing around with their products so most people are kept in the dark about it. Take a look HERE. The best way to tell with them is with the PCB I think.

Back