• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Latency settings for PC2100 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berean

Registered
I'm new to the DDR arena after having a good ride with my old PC133 Crucial RAM. With my old setup I've been able to use the standard 2-2-2 latency settings with the FSB at 144Mhz. I was so proud :D

Now that I upgraded to a DDR system, using 256MB Mushkin PC2100 RAM, I set to use the same 2-2-2 settings, but noticed something new. In my BIOS, along with the usual CAS settings, I saw two new options Ive never seen before:

"SDRAM RAS Active Time----(currently at 6T)"

"SDRAM Command Lead-Off Time (currently at AUTO)"

Huh? Never seen these options before. The latency settings were defaulted at 2.5-3-3-6-Auto. I changed it to 2-2-2-6-Auto, but I dont know what to do with the last two settings. It seems completely stable at those current settings by the way.

I dont want to push my Mushkin over the edge or prematurely shorten the memory's lifespan, so how should i set the last two options, or should I leave it alone? Ive heard 5T can be destructive over the long run. Let me know what worked for you if you have a similar setup....

Just run it at 2-5-2-2 settings Mushkin is pretty strong memory and you shouldnt have any problems. I have Crucial and I run mine at 2-5-2-2 timings. All your doing by running it faster then what its rated at is sorta overclocking it. Its just trial and error if you have problems at those timings then go back to the ones your using.

But....

I read elsewhere that using the 5T instead of 6T will shorten the Ram's lifespan dramatically. Dont want to do that.

There's no indication though on what "SDRAM Command Lead Off Time" does, and what it should ideally be set to. Prior to using DDR Ram, I never hoid of sucha thing :D

VERY few people run the ram at the slowest timings of 3-3-3-6. trust me your not going to kill it at 2-2-2-5. Mine is 2.5-5-2-2 rated and I run it at 2-5-2-2, just like every other ram I have had since building my computers. if your really afrid then run everything at auto speeds and let the computer decide what to run it at.

Back