• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the hell does 256MGB OCZ PC 2400 beat 512 MGB Corsair PC 2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KamiMazi

Registered
I got the Corsair and a friend has the OCZ. He gets about 50 more on the two scores that Sisoft Sandra gives... I have the KR7A-RAID and he has the new Shuttle I think.

How is this possible???

Could it be that I use two sticks of RAM and he has one? I think I read that somewhere...

It bothers me cause I just spent $140 a stick not even 2 months ago.

If any of you can put my mind at ease, I will be greatful.

Thanks.

EDIT::: Our FSB and RAM timings were the same. And my CPU is a bit faster if that makes a difference which I doubt it does in a RAM benchmark.

Well dunno if this will help but memory scores can vary from mobo to mobo, also ECC will run slower then NON ECC.

well, from my own test, one thing i am sure about...more RAM does NOT give a higher score(i mean RAM score)

I tried 2 stick of RAM one at a time, get about the same score, then I put them both on, and the score still about the same.

From your case, probably the mobo made the difference. If you two have the same mobo, that will be weired if he still get higher score than yours while you have PC2700 and he has PC2400.

Last edited:

Wait a minute...

KR7A-RAID......That explains everything.

This mobo only supports 200/266MHZ, which means your PC2700 RAM are running at PC2100's speed. That makes your score lower than PC2400.

Last edited:
If your FSB and memory timings are identical, the motherboards must be the difference. For example, 133 FSB on my Asus mobo is almost 134 MHz. Another board may be closer to 132 MHz. Those aren't exact numbers.

Also, DIMM placement is important. Just check out the article on the front page. It can make a difference.

Re: .

#18 said:
Wait a minute...

KR7A-RAID......That explains everything.

This mobo only supports 200/266MHZ, which means your PC2700 RAM are running at PC2100's speed. That makes your score lower than PC2400.

Actually man, all of these RAMs are PC 2100 but clocked to run higher. They are all compatible with my mobo. And it isn't the mobo, cause no way his Shuttle beats my Abit.

In the end, I don't really care. My RAM will go up to 166 FSB with cas2 and fastest timings, while his won't go past 140 FSB with cas2. Guess that is why I paid so much for this RAM.

Too bad PC 3000 came out like 2 weeks after my purchase...

Re: Re: .

KamiMazi said:

My RAM will go up to 166 FSB with cas2 and fastest timings, while his won't go past 140 FSB

You mean when you two running the tests, your FSB were at 166, and his was at 140, AND under this condition, he got higher score than yours??

Last edited:
No.....

We had the same settings man....

I just said that to show that those scores don't decide which RAM is better. And we all know Sisoft Sandra isn't a "real life" kind of test.

Actually man, all of these RAMs are PC 2100 but clocked to run higher. They are all compatible with my mobo. And it isn't the mobo, cause no way his Shuttle beats my Abit.

Don't be too quick to bash the shuttle mobos. I've built 3 systems on the Shuttle AK31. I've found that it is both FAST and stable. The best $80 motherboard I've seen. Although Abit has a longer tradition for excellence than Shuttle, the AK31 made a believer out of me.

And to think that just 10 months ago I dissuaded a friend from purchasing the AK31... [humbly inserts foot into mouth] :)

If you read carefully, you'll see I didn't bash a damn things. I simply said that I don't believe that mobo can beat the Abit KR7A-R, which is one of the best mobo's out right now.

Yep Shuttle does beat the Abit in some cases,from what I have been reading in th reviews.But like I said,in SOME cases,I have an MSI and my brother has a Shuttle and with everything set the EXACT same,my 2700 Kingmax in his Shuttle beat my MSI to death.
That was with my MSI K7T 266 Pro 2 and his Shuttle 266,I dont know which model.
So it is probably the difference in the boards:)
But I could be wrong:rolleyes:

It is the difference in the boards, how could it not be since they are the same settings? Like I said first motherboards perform better or worst in certain areas. That doesnt mean the Abit is not better then the shuttle and vice versa. Its showing that it has some faster memory scores BIG DEAL. I have a Soyo Fire Dragon and my board gets better memory scores then my friends Asus P4266. But that doesnt mean his board sucks and mine rules. Well actually mine does rule :D :D. I would just say dont get too worked up over memory scores unless your like me and have to have everything the fastest.

Yea. Those of us here who know what we are talking about agree it isn't the RAM. It can very well be the fact that his Shuttle performs better in that area than my Abit.

Simmer down? Another case of judging someone's mood by a post... No need to be sorry for you did not upset me.

i) I don't trust Sandra.
ii) if the CTC timing crystal for each of your motherboards is out by 0.001 then that might make a 50 point difference in a score of thousands.
iii) If you're running a half multiplier and he's running a full multiplier ie 11 vs 11.5 then that lack of sync could just make the difference.
iv)shorter signal paths on his board? remove one of your modules and test again.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back