• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EEC or non-EEC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roguenroll

Registered
curious about the difference, after some research I think I've figured out all the cryptic abbreviations and such.

can you help on this?

Thanks

Rogue

Better to get non-ECC, some motherboards aren't compatible with it, and there isn't any performance difference for the higher priced ECC.

How can I tell if my 256mb DDR Crucial is ECC or non-ECC.
There aren't any markings on it that would indicate either one.

is it okey to put two non-ecc chips in. someone told me once upon a time that ecc helps with multipule chips but i think two is ok. am i correct? sorry for soundin' like a newbe but i havent taken the time to learn about memory yet.

ECC is only meant for high end servers using big sticks of memory. For dual boards ECC is recommended because unbuffered and non ECC sticks crap out abit giving out big loss of performance. And using big sticks of ram you need it to be ECC to be able to read it correctly.

Yodums said:
ECC is only meant for high end servers using big sticks of memory. For dual boards ECC is recommended because unbuffered and non ECC sticks crap out abit giving out big loss of performance. And using big sticks of ram you need it to be ECC to be able to read it correctly.
so you mean that having 256 or 512 non ecc is fine? no perfomance difference? higher overclocking ceiling?:D (i like that last one)

Gilgamesh said:

so you mean that having 256 or 512 non ecc is fine? no perfomance difference? higher overclocking ceiling?:D (i like that last one)

Yes it's fine. ECC is slower. ECC doesn't overclock as well. ECC are meant for stablitiy for servers etc as I mentioned.

Yodums said:

Yes it's fine. ECC is slower. ECC doesn't overclock as well. ECC are meant for stablitiy for servers etc as I mentioned.

I have OC's ECC RAM on my high-end workstations without
too much trouble. I run a lot of my stuff 24/7 at close to
100%. Yes, these are like servers, and yes, it does give
peace of mind to run ECC.

It is also true that you can't always push the ECC RAM
at quite as high a speed, but you can depend on it.

I suspect that a lot of OC'd non-ECC systems throw
errors on a regular basis. I guess if you aren't doing
anything important it may not matter much. I think
a lot of complaints against MS are unfair, not that I
love MS. It might be RAM problems instead.

Back