• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does having over 512MB in Windows 98 help at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aman99

Does having over 512 MB of RAM in win 98 do anything for you? Will windows even use it? Thanks for any replies.

Not only will it not use it, it can actually cause memory errors and other problems. If you really want more than 512 MB, you'll need to upgrade to 2000 or XP.

Not only will it not use it, it can actually cause memory errors and other problems. If you really want more than 512 MB, you'll need to upgrade to 2000 or XP.

Ditto that.

My friend tried booting with 512megs in Win ME and he couldn't boot because of memory errors.

Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows (Q184447)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS

If your computer has 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of random-access memory (RAM) installed, Windows may not start. Also, when you try to start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Insufficient memory to initialize Windows.

Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart your computer.

This behavior may also occur during Windows Setup, or when you try to start Windows for the first time.

RESOLUTION

To work around this issue, add the following line to the [386enh] section of the System.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=30000

This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access to 768 MB. To do so, use the following steps:

1. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to edit the System.ini file.

2. Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

MaxPhysPage=30000

3. Save the file, and then restart your computer.

If this problem occurs during Windows Setup, use the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your computer. When you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, press the F8 key, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.

For Windows 98, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Startup menu appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only.

2. Change to the folder into which you are attempting to install Windows.

3. Edit the System.ini file. To do so, type edit system.ini , and then press ENTER.

4. Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

MaxPhysPage=30000

5. Save the file, and then restart your computer. Windows Setup should continue.

Now the trick would be to find the one that allows you to use 1024Mb of RAM:D How efficient will W9X systems handle it? Not as good as W2K or XP but atleast you don't have to rush out & buy another OS:beer:

this is not actualy true..

i have worked with this a bit.

win98 will register 1GB of ram

I am running win98 and i have 1152MB of ram

2 512mb pc133
1 128mb pc133

i tested this but i didn't have an extra 256 to test higher
but win98 will NOT register 1536mb
3 512mb PC133

if you want that much you have to run 2000 or higher windows

i am curently running win98 with 1152MB of ram and a cel700 clocked to 1050

Back