• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another stupid RDRAM question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

I wanted more ram for the Intel 820 MoBo I just bought. I was under the impression that RDRAM had to be bought in pairs. I ordered 2 sticks of Samsung 128mb PC800 from next hardware shop. Those brainsurgeons over there sent me one 128mb stick and one 256mb stick. Will these work in this motherboard or do I need to get another matching stick?

I belive the 850 chipset does not require pairs.
You just have to use the dummy rimms, the 820 I belive does require the memory to be in pairs.

Actually Placid, the i820 chipset does not require two sticks of RDRAM because it does not use a dual channel memory architecture. On the other hand, if you have an i840, i850, or i860 chipset then you will need to buy memory in pairs.

Hey Staz, put both sticks in, you'll get 384MB mem for the price of 256MB, if that's what they charged you for. The i820 does require memory slots filled as pairs, that is both slots must be filled, whether it's with useable memory or CRIMM's, doesn't matter as long as both slots are filled. The memory modules do not need to match. I've done an Intel i820 board with a 64MB and 128MB module before, no problems.

Last edited:
Thnx for the heads up lyle. Yes they did only charge me for 256mb. Not only did they send me 384mb but the also knocked $5 off the shipping after I sent them a nast email wanting to know why it cost $15.75 to ship 2 sticks of ram. So they sent me an email saying that they refunded $5 of the shipping charge. I'll have to wait to see my credit card statment to see if they actually did or not.

This is going into a machine I am building for my mother in law and some parts are in LA and some in CA. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to run to a local PC shop and pay full retail price.

Back