• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zeus is bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

It looks like we can add Zeus components to our list of brands to look out for. I ordered a PC2700 256MB stick from accessmicro.com, and I am dissatisfied to say the least. First of all, I should let you know that the stick is advertised rated at 5ns, and up to 167MHz at cas 2. A closer look at the chips reflects a speed rating of 6ns. I've tried to run it at 166MHz cas 2, and I got some peculiar errors upon rebooting WinXP. Thanks to the help of you folks in the forum, I now know that it is due to the memory. I would have never figured that out, and probably would have figured that my processor speed was maxed out if it weren't for you kind folks. And I would have thought nothing of it, trusting the rating of the ram I purchased, eliminating it as a possiblity. But wait, it gets worse.

The bios on my motherboard, an Iwill DVD266u-RN by the way, lets me modify the memory speed. I set things at the very minimum. No enhanced memory options, cas latency of 2.5, DRAM speed -33MHz off of the system bus. I was now able to get more processor speed, but became even more upset with the ram. Even after incresing the momory voltage by 10%, the max bus speed I can safely run is 160MHz. This means that the memory is at 127MHz, cas 2.5, 2.75V, and no other enhanced memory options. Anything higher, and I get the same memory related error messages eventually. Very, very disappointing. Needless to say, I am returning this stick of memory. Can anyone reccomend a replacement? I would like to run cas 2@166MHz.

To make a long story short, DON'T BUY ZEUS COMPONENTS RAM!!!

Look for some of the better known brands - Crucial, Micron, Samsung, Corsair, Kingston etc.

Back