• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who will pay $6000 for 2GB of DDR ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

Kingston Releases 1 and 2 GB DDR PC2100 DIMMs

Kingston Technologies of Fountain Valley, California, has announced the immediate availability of one and two GB low-profile DDR PC2100 registered ECC memory modules for server platforms, and has racked up endorsements from Tyan and SuperMicro. The module specs are as follows:

1GB Low-Profile DDR PC2100 Registered ECC DIMM 2GB Low-Profile DDR PC2100 Registered ECC DIMM
Part Number: KVR266X72RC25/1024
184-pin compliant JEDEC spec
128M x 4bit stacked technology
1.2" height
CAS latency 2.5
Serial Presence Detect
2.5V supply voltage
Suggested Retail Price: $980.00

2GB Low-Profile DDR PC2100 Registered ECC DIMM
Part Number: KVR266X72RC25/2G
184-pin compliant JEDEC spec
256M x 4bit stacked technology
1.2" height
CAS latency 2.5
Serial Presence Detect
2.5V supply voltage
Suggested Retail Price: $6,369.00

well at least 2GB sticks are available.

wait another two years and see them at 1/100 of that price

who would buy this?

Same people that run SCSI 3
With HDD going for upto and over $10 000, a 1GB stick for $1000 is cheap. Rember the people that have the SCSI HDD run RAIDS, so put a FEW $10 000 HDD in it.

People in the server market.

Read the front page to see how terrible that would be :D

See folks, the more RAM you have, the slower you go. Sure it's only a slight decrease but with big sticks you;ll be running like a Z80!!

(hee hee um whatever :cool: )
No :mad: please :eek:

Hey guys, sorry to say (and this is true), my uncle just happens to be named David Sun, and that just happens to be the same David Sun that is the owner of Kingston Tech. along with John Tu (why do you think i live in irvine?). I mean, i have thanksgiving with his entire family every year (I'm eating with a millionare!!!), and went to his son's (my cousin's) wedding just two years back. Man, I just love telling people that! Oh, and on a sidenote: in the first post, the variant 'KVR...' in the beginning of the part number means that the module is made by the Kingston department 'ValueRam' (hence 'Kingston ValueRam'), just to prove what i said above.

if i had the money and the space i would surely take it. But since i had neither i think you can count me out. Plus i would want a little better performance than 2100:rolleyes:

Overclocker550 said:
uh.....scsi cost only a few hundred

ok so i went a little overboard, but
$2300 for a 181 GB Ultra 160 SCSI is still very pricy...
or $1200 for a 10 000 RPM 80GB Ultra 160 is still up thier in price, but 4.x ns seek time sure is fast.

put 10 SCSI drives in your system like that and watch the price tag FLY

unfortunately most motherboards wont accept chips as big as that...

i think those 2gb chips are intended for those running large servers, etc etc, not for regular gaming desktops

-peter

Back