• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 Errors within minutes..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiveX

Just got an XP2000+ setup running off Abit KR7A-133RAID board with 1 GB corsair XMS 2700 DDR ram. I set FSB to 138 and multiplier to 12.5 to yield 1725Mhz for the CPU. I ran Prime 95 and within 60-80 seconds it gives errors about hardware and to consult stress.txt file. I've tried setting aggressive memory settings and stable memory settings following the procedure off Paul's abit KR7A FAQ (http://www.viahardware.com). Nothing is helping. I initially had the memory in slots 3 and 4 (two 512 MB sticks), and have moved it into slots 1 & 2, where it ran a bit longer (maybe 20 seconds longer before error), but it still is generating errors within minutes. Using MBM5, my CPU temp idles at around 50 celsius and the case is around 28-30. I just don't get why I can't even run the program for 5 minutes without errors.

I think its probably memory related errors, thats why I stuck it in this forum. The CPU is running fine, and even though 50 C is a bit high for what I expected from the Alpha PAL 8045, its well within AMD operating temp range...

Any suggestions or advice is welcome...

Thanks guys,

XiveX :confused:

what kind of thermal paste are you using? Double check to make sure the heatsink is on right. Try it with only one stick of memory. 50 is way high for Idle what are the temps while Prime95 is running? It could be a heat problem.

Thermal Paste

The Thermal paste is made by coolermaster. Here is a link to the store that installed it for me, they put it on.

http://micropro.com/item.htm?item_id=ACHCMHTK-001&product=Cooling Devices

Perhaps they didn't tighten down the HSF enough? I thought 50 was WAY too high also...

With Prime95 running, the temps will hit 56-57 or so before it crashes. I ran toast and it ran for 5 minutes, temps hit 60, then I got a Blue Screen of Death and had to reboot.

XiveX

if you can you should try to get your hands on some artic silver 3 and reapply to the HSF. And what other cooling do you have in the case??

AS3 at...

plycon
heatsinkfactory
SVC
frozenCPU

many other places... you will find that AS3 will make a huge difference IMO.

After you get some AS3, the best guide for putting it on is located here

2 fans

I have two antec case fans. The case is fine. It only runs about 28 C. Thats not bad at all, is it? Seems fine to me..

XiveX

no no that is fine for case temps. i was just asking because of the huge difference between the CPu temps and the case temps. ALso, airflow through the case has a huge impact on CPU temps. Checkout this thread for lots of info on that.

Also there is a great all around article on cooling here. This article is packed with info to help you get the best cooling solution into your system.

NAS

w00t

Just ordered the Danger Den Maze 3, Eheim 1250 pump, Black Ice Extreme radiator, silicone tubing, hose clamps, mobo chipset block, and T connector all from Dangerden.com. I have been researching H20 Cooling for a few weeks now, and this was the incentive I needed to make the move. Thanks guys!

XiveX :cool:

Your temps are too high.

Do you have any case fans? One exahust and one intake can shed another 3c-5c off your CPU temp.

Better cooling does help with fsb overclocking and stability.

When I was using the standard hsf I was getting a max fsb of 144 at fastest mem timing, or 145 with a slightly slower ram timing. After I installed a Globalwin, I am getting 150 fsb at fastest ram timing. Installed a new chipset fan and northbridge cooler, 151 fsb, and 153 fsb before Prime95 crashes my comp.

Try running with 1 stick of ram instead of 2, I bet that will help although your temps are high.

Prime95 errors are common for AMD CPUs running in the
50s. XiveX, it is probably NOT your memory. Since you
have commited to water cooling now, you can say good
bye to this problem.

Back