• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registered Ram ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gaming Systems: Registered memory not needed, may actually degrade performance slightly.

Servers: ALWAYS use registered memory. Most server boards require it. Plus, it will make it easier to add more memory later.

DDR Systems: Use registered modules if you will be installing more than two DIMMs.

High Performance Workstations: If you want a gigabyte of memory or more in your system, use registered memory (and a board that supports it!).

Question, I’m building a gaming rig with 2 sticks of DDR. What do I use? :eh?:

My suggestion would be regular unbuffered memory, which is what most companies sell. Registered memory might degrade performance as stated. Unless your planning on getting 1+ gig of memory, it's not needed. Stick with the regular unbuffered memory. It's faster, and more overclocker friendly if you are overclocking the system.

Aketon said:
My suggestion would be regular unbuffered memory, which is what most companies sell. Registered memory might degrade performance as stated. Unless your planning on getting 1+ gig of memory, it's not needed. Stick with the regular unbuffered memory. It's faster, and more overclocker friendly if you are overclocking the system.

Thanks! :D

Back