• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micron DDR400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

This really sucks,

I got a stick of Micron DDR400 (5.5ns) and I cant use it because I had to return the defective A7N266-E to ASUS.

I wonder how long its gonna take until ASUS ships me a new working board. I wanna do a review on this stuff.

AXIA

sorry to hear that...if it's anything like my A7A266 turn around time it should take quite awhile (I sent it to then priority USPS they sent it to me ground UPS which took ONE WHOLE WEEK to get to me) :mad:

So, I hope they're a bit speedier with you...:eek:

--Shakes head-

What does the rma have to do with the memory? Whats this thread actually relavant to? --Shakes head again-

Maybe its me but I think this thread belongs in Gripes and moans :beer:

Well to begin with 5.5 NS = 183Mhz not 200Mhz..............
so that would be DDR 366(PC-3000) not DDR 400(PC-3200)....

As far as I know Micron does not make a DDR 400 chip in fact they just began shipping DDR333 chips in a configuration meant for memory modules. Micron stated at the Last JEDEC conference that they did not intend to build a DDR 400 chip
They were planing on waiting for the DDR -2 specification to be released to release DDR -2 at 400Mhz(200Mhz x 2)

Are you sure your not confused as to what you have purchased :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Um, I dunno,

All I know is that the ram is supposed to be capable of 400MHz CL2.5, thats all I know.

And its also capable of CL2 333MHz operations. Since there will never be official DDR400, this Dimm is about as close as your going to get from Micron anyway.

I hope to get the board back so I can post benchys of the ram here.

AXIA

yes this apears to be a 183Mhz chip , basicaly that would be a CL 2 DDR 333 part or CL 2.5 DDR 366

Its not in standard production apparently, so lucky you to have one.....................

Now if your expecting the ASUS N force based board to run 200Mhz FSb I think you may run into some issues as the dotn really overclock much past 150Mhz ( this is just what I have read)

Most high performance RAM manufacturers only qualify it for PC-2100 dimms .....................

I checked www.mushkin.com and www.ocztech.com

;)

Thermal said:
yes this apears to be a 183Mhz chip , basicaly that would be a CL 2 DDR 333 part or CL 2.5 DDR 366

Its not in standard production apparently, so lucky you to have one.....................

Now if your expecting the ASUS N force based board to run 200Mhz FSb I think you may run into some issues as the dotn really overclock much past 150Mhz ( this is just what I have read)

Most high performance RAM manufacturers only qualify it for PC-2100 dimms .....................

I checked www.mushkin.com and www.ocztech.com

;)

Can you give me more information about the nforce-based boards, please?

All I realy heard was the were not great overclockers only capable of about 145Mhz FSB -150Mhz FSb .............

I checked the forums at mushkin as well as the OCZ support pages and it seems they concur..........................

N-force based boards use dual channel DDR , which basicaly means the mobo will see 2 dimms of the same size one in each channel , as a single dimm that is 2x times as fast ...................

Kinda hard to explain , I know I have never seen anyone really be able to overclock the RAM very far on these boards .................

My freind Jim over at Abit agrees with me , that its not really an overclockers chipset ..................

However keep in mind that at stock PC-2100 speeds there is a solid increase in ram bandwidth using the N-Force chipset
I have been told of up to 30% increase in memory bandwidth using one dimm in each channel. Which is good for non overclockers...........................................

I am aware of the dual channel architecture used in nforce boards, howeevr I do not see how that would affect overclockeing performace :confused:

The newer revised A7N266-E boards will easily hit 172MHz FSB (344MHz Bus) with the newest bios. Some other A7N266-E owners maybe could help me out here.

I am all on readings for the board since the one I had was dead and never did work so I never did get the chance to burn it in :)

I think this ram could easily do 344MHz CL2, and just imagine the benchmarks when in TwinBank.

AXIA

Back