• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More RAM? or More Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquidsky

Registered
I've been wondering about this for a long time now: Does having more slower RAM make your PC faster than less but faster RAM? I never had to deal with this question until today because I used to have an MSI K7T Turbo so I was pretty much stuck with slow PC133 SDRAM. I had 384 MB of it. Today I got myself an ECS K7S6A (cheap and good). But I don't have much money right now so could only afford to buy a 128 MB DDR-RAM stick. I'll get more later. Now is my system any faster than my old SDRAM based system ot is ir slower because I have less RAM? I'm running Windows XP.

You'll probably be a bit slower, at least when you need lots of ram. Your desktop might be a little faster, but WinXP is gonna eat up your 128, not leaving much for applications. Your first upgrade should be a 256MB stick. Until then you might want to consider an older, less greedy OS.

They used to say that the DDR upgrade was only for about 10% performance boost, probably a bit more now that the kinks are (mostly) worked out.

i think you're right but so far XP feels the same. Even a little bit faster. I know that I need more RAM but for this month this is all that I can get. Every PC these days needs at least 128 MB minimum(really the least i mean), ok with 256 MB and great with 512 MB. So far I feel that the speed has compensated for the lack of memory.

Back