• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlesHF

Back in February, my computer's old RAM went nuts. So, my dad ordered 4 new sticks, each PC2100DDR, Samsung, 256MB. He put 2 in his machine down at his office, which is the limit for it. His machine is doing fine.
He gave me 1 to replace the one that I was using that died. (which also happened to be one I was borrowing from him)

I have a Soyo Dragon+ mobo. Today, I got the other stick that has not been used at all. He has had it down at his office, not in a computer or anything since February. We always take the upmost care with all of our computer parts!! I asked if I could have it to put into my computer until he needs it, and he said it was fine.
So, I put it in. This brought me up to 512MB, all the same type, from the same brand, etc. 2x256MB sticks. My system isn't overclocked.

I turned it on, and it did fine until it got into winbloze. (98SE) It went downhill from there.
AOL IM had an invalid page fault. Restarted.
My screen wasn't exactly aligned when I started up this time, and realplayer had an invalid page fault. Restarted.
Started fine. Tried to get into IE6. Blue Screen of Death. Restarted.
Took new stick of RAM out. Did perfectly. Put new RAM back in, did fine. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I restarted. It did fine.
I turned it off again, and let it sit for a few hours. Turned it back on. I got a message from the Windows Registry Checker after getting into windows that it couldn't find the registry, and it would restart to fix it. I turned it off. Took the new RAM out, and now it's fine.

So, I'm wondering...............should I RMA this? It's the first time it's been in a computer. It's registering perfectly, but when it goes into windows, my computer goes bonkers!!
Thanks!

the computer goes bonkers because when windows uses the ram and then tries to pull information back off of it the infromation is corrupt which means it is bad ram. RMA if you can i know samsung is a good company im not sure about there policys though, i have a bad stick of pc2100 micron that i have to rma but i haven't got around to it they give a lifetime warrenty on it.

Back