• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to buy pc1066 RDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They're only ES of that ram out. You'd be LUCKY to find that on Ebay but if you do it would be mostly taken down or be a fake.

Yodums

PC1066

Most new Samsung PC800 RDRAM will run @ PC1066.

I have 4 sticks of 128 MB Samsung RDRAM in my system
and it runs fine @ PC1066.

I'm currently running it with no problems @ PC1088.

Don't know how high it would go, have not tried it past
PC1088.

I can run my Samsung 512mb (2x 256mb) at 525 easily but when I push it to 533 I get Prime 95 errors. I had to put a strong 60mm fan blowing vertically above the ram to make them 100% stable in Prime 95. It would be great if I could get my hands on some 533mhz rdram, I would try and overclock that to the point where I would need a fan I bet :D

I think we need a company like OCZ (except with a better reputation) for RDRAM :cool:

Well the reason you buy 1066 isn't to run it at that. It's because your chip has more head room than PC1066. Like lots of people don't buy RDRam because it bottlenecks.

Yodums

Yodums said:
Like lots of people don't buy RDRam because it bottlenecks.

Yodums

RDRam bottlenecking?? I have two sticks of Samsung 256 16 device PC 800 RDRam at PC1088 and can transfer 3.4 GB/S. I don't know if I'd call that bottlenecking :)

AMD Builder

I'll bet it not your RDRAM that's the problem. It's probably the RDRAM clock chips on your Abit MB.

The Abit RDRAM clock chips are not rated for PC1066.

Your fan is actually cooling the clock chips which are located
right next to the RDRAM sockets. That's why it's stable with the fan IMHO.

The newer ASUS P4T-e MB's have RDRAM clock chips rated for
PC1066. The older onces don't.

There are some web sites that sell the new ASUS P4T-e board
and guarantee the board you get will have the new clock chips.

Probably not worth the trouble now. The new P4Te533 will be out soon. Not sure if Abit plans on making a MB for PC1066.

There are posts and rumors around that Abit will be installing faster clock chips on the TH7II. There are some TH7II's out there with the faster chips on them. That seems to be the real problem with hitting PC1066 speeds. The majority of the clock chips on recent TH7II board are ICS 0912DF-03 which are rated at 400MHZ but have a reserve setting that corresponds with the 533MHZ rated TI DRCG's (CDCFR83) and the 600MHZ rated ICS 9212DF-13 533MHZ setting so they are capable (thats why the bios lets you do it) but the part is being run past it's rating so the signal quality or cleaness is questionable. Here are the links to the specs for all 3 chips:

http://www.icst.com/products/pdf/9212-03.pdf

http://www.icst.com/products/pdf/9212-13.pdf

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/cdcfr83.pdf

Looks like the 2 ICS chips and the TI chip are pin compatible so in theory you could swap them. It would involve pulling the board and using a hot air soldering station to swap the chips. I am tempted to try this if I can get the 600MHZ ICS chips. If I do, I will post my results. Most if not all the Samsung PC800 chips I tested can reach PC1066 so this leads me to believe that it is most probable that the DRCG's are the problem.

Back