• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

continual memory c/d during post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mick

What could cause the memory counter during post to continually count the memory with a funny beep, when it does boot it runs fine i've tryed reseating the ram with short success.I'm using w2kpro, a msi k7t turbo 2, 2-256 pc133 ram sticks

no errrors? How many times does it count? is your Bios set to Fast boot? (fast boot would only count your ram once)

Are you having any other probs? 2 ideas from me. One is to write down that funny beep, check the mobo manufacturer's website and see what it's telling you.

2nd idea is to get memtest (search the boards, I know theres links to it. )

Sounds like a prob I had a while ago. turned out one of my dimm's was bad, replaced it and the system is working fine

I have run memtest with no errors it seems to happen after it has been shut down for a while no probs when warm booting.Its not an error beep it's more of a static sort of sound the only bios settings touched so far are to disable onboard sound enable usb k/b and mouse and temp shutdown this is a new board rma after the last one died.I took the side off and as the memory was counting with funny sound i wriggled a stick it stopped the sound but i had to reset to boot?When it is counting i can not esc out of the mem count or ctrl alt delete to reboot i have to reset.please don't tell me the m/b is stuffed it took 6 weeks to get this one rma (how was i mean't to know what an idiot).

dunno. static sound?? Where did you hear the sound from? The speaker, or elsewhere? and it stopped when you wriggled the stick (dont' do this while the system is running btw. if you have a short somewhere there you could fry something)?What kind of ram is this? what size? is it SDRAM or DDR or what? what kind of board?

is there bunch of dust around the slots? anything to keep the memory from seating correctly? Is your mobo mounted to the tray correctly? Most mobos mount above and below the mem sticks to allow for the pressure of seating the sticks. What about the contacts in the slot and on the dimms? Anything look weird (black spots, oily sheen)? You can use Isopropal (sp?) rubbing alcohol, but get the good stuff. you can get 90% from most drugstore here, but they ask what I want it for. guess cleaning electrical parts is ok for a pint or so. I usually get some QTips, I try to find the small, tight wrapped ones.

if the box boots, and runs for long periods, I'd doubt anythings fried really. proly just something interfering w/ those contacts
I wouldn't expect anything to be able to stop that mem count. the bios can' load until that count is done, so none of those functions exist yet to the computer, unitl the bios loads.

Frag

Its a msi k7t turbo 2 ver 5 bios 3.3-sdram pc133 2-256 hyundai.The sound is coming from the tower.I think i'll pull the m/b and seat the ram on a flat surface.When moving the dimms i am not game enough to exert the pressure for the lugs to click themselves into place even though at the moment i can manually lock the lugs maybe this could be the prob.I'll give it a go and see how she boots up cold in the morning

yup, can't imagine that hurting at all. My experience is those things HAVE to seat well.

GL and let us know what happens.

I booted cold this morning and only got a slight sound at the very beginning of the mem count but it checked the rest of the mem okay and booted.It is starting to look like a contact issue but i'll give it a couple of days and see how it goes i'll let you know.Thanks for the help.

kewl. glad to hear it. I hate weird stuff like that. My fans are so loud that if my computer makes any noise I'd never hear it LAF.

frag

Back