• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

I am not actually interested in OCing my machine, it is used primarily for gaming. Can you advise as to what the best RAM to use is? I am buying a new mobo and would like to save money buy using my existing SDRAM PC100.

ps- If you think I should take a hike, can you recommend another forum? Thanks guys.

Also, this is probably in the wrong thread:

I'm loking to spend about $500 (less if possible.) I've looked at a case (boring but w/front USB)+DFI mobo+AMD 950MHz+fan+20GB 7200RPM hard drive at a local shop for about $300. I'm willing to spend more if I have to upgrade RAM & I'm thinking about a new CDRW drive but only if my total doesn't exceed $500.

Again, I'm a gamer, this is a gaming machine- how important is CD speed? (I think I have an OLD 4x drive now)

bluenotebacker said:
ps- If you think I should take a hike, can you recommend another forum? Thanks guys.
Sorry, we're just to fond of our n00bies to do that!

As for good RAM, there's Crucial, Kingston, and something else... Can't remeber right now :D It's really good at overclocking, which means it should be even better at stock speed. As for price, Crucial is probably the cheapest of the three, but I don't know if it's the cheapest you can get. Since you aren't really looking into OCing, you could probably get something not as good as Crucial but cheaper. What, I don't know. I don't have enough money to even look into upgrading right now, so I wouln't know :cool:

JigPu

I'm really trying to decide what to go with- DDR or SDRAM. I'll pick a munufacturer after that. I already have 256MB of PC100 RAM that I'd like to use, for the moment- do they make boards that can take both?

Go with DDR, It's alot faster. I was able to double my 3dmark scores from a PC133 to DDR333 based system. (6000-12400pts)

for cheap and effective memory. try pny. you can get it online and at the local computer store. its alot cheaper if you get it online tho. yes deffently o.c it yup yup does wonders.

oh yeah

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!@!@

zck250 said:
Go with DDR, It's alot faster. I was able to double my 3dmark scores from a PC133 to DDR333 based system. (6000-12400pts)

Maybe someday, right now, I just don't have the money and resources. I'm sure I could learn the skills, but I just haven't made the time...

Back