• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Spreader?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zck250

Would it be worth it to spend $10 on an all copper heat spreader or stay with the stock one on my Corsair xms3000?

I'm not sure on what they give you for a heat spreader, but for 10 bucks, and all copper, it might help your ram stay more stable at higher (>170) FSB speeds. If your not going any higher than this, and your memCore isn't up too high (either stock, or 2.6v) then you should be fine.

Well, i want to run as high as possible, so i guess you'd rccomend the new spreader?

How do i get the corsair heat spreader off? Do i just take the clip off and pull the two sides apart until the tape comes off?

I wouldn't mess with it myself. You already have a heat spreader and removing the one on there now will void your warranty and people have physically damaged their memory when removing them.

Hooking a small 60mm fan up so it blows on the memory would be far better than replacing the heatspreader already on it.

I just replaced one with a copper and it is much heavier and apparently makes a small diference. The aluminum one is almost useless in my opinion. It was difficult getting the old one off, but with some carefull prying and pulling, I got it off without a disaster. When your trying to hit 200fsb+, every degree may help in stability. I also have a small fan blowing down on it. I don't think it makes a big difference though.

grdh20

Did you use a razor or something to get the tape off the chips (from bottom) before pulling? Or did you just pull?

jdmcnudgent just drilled the rivets out of his Samsung RDRAM. After he drilled the rivets the heat spreaders pulled right off. They were taped on somewhat but no real pulling.

zck250 said:
grdh20

Did you use a razor or something to get the tape off the chips (from bottom) before pulling? Or did you just pull?

Small screwdriver (between chips and spreader very carefulle) and my thumbs.

Back