• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5 gigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

I am thinking about buy 3 sticks of 512mb pc133 ram so i have like 1054mb of SDRam. I am planning on running multiple programs, doing some video editing, and maybe run a counterstrike server at lans. Would it be worth doing or no?

xCarne_Asada said:
I am thinking about buy 3 sticks of 512mb pc133 ram so i have like 1054mb of SDRam. I am planning on running multiple programs, doing some video editing, and maybe run a counterstrike server at lans. Would it be worth doing or no?

Well first off, 3 sticks of 512MB is 1536MB, not 1054. =)

No, unless you do CAD or run a VERY popular web server, there's no reason to ever exceed 512MB of any type of RAM. More IS better, and there's no such thing as excessiveness, but anything over 512MB will not be utilized thuroughly enough to warrant the price you'll pay for that much.

Uber is right. That much ram is what they use on large servers that are controlling dozens of other computers and 100's of tasks at once. And at the way things are going, SDR memory will soon be in it's phasing out stages over the next 6-9 months.

If your doing enough video editing, maybe 768MB (512 & 256) might warrant some better performance. I've heard of some of these programs using upwards of 500-600MB at a time.

It all comes down to how much money your willing to spend, 512MB should very well suffice for what your doing. I would take the money you were willing to shell out an 1.5GB and get a new DDR motherboard, and 512MB of DDR. This would definetly warrand a major increase. I'd have to say about 15-25% performance increase AT LEAST.

I remember seeing a game that needed @least 768 or 1024Mb or ram in order to play it... anyways it was a game that was multiplayer and online only..

I don't think Windows recognises more than 512 megs of ram anyways, you'd end up with slower ram timings as well.
;)

Cluster said:
I would take the money you were willing to shell out an 1.5GB and get a new DDR motherboard, and 512MB of DDR. This would definetly warrand a major increase.

Agreed

Dude, you really want to Smoke all these fools?

Get your 1.5 megs of ram, and setup a ram drive of 1 gig, and figure out a way to load your OS on it.

You could have a bootable CD that loads the OS onto the ram drive, that way you still have your slower HD version.

You would faint to see how fast your computer would be after that.

IcemanVKO said:
Dude, you really want to Smoke all these fools?

Get your 1.5 megs of ram, and setup a ram drive of 1 gig, and figure out a way to load your OS on it.

You could have a bootable CD that loads the OS onto the ram drive, that way you still have your slower HD version.

You would faint to see how fast your computer would be after that.

Hum... Is that possiable ? I know it can be done in windows its just the part when ever you restart you lose everything that "was" on the ram drive..

Thermal said:
I don't think Windows recognises more than 512 megs of ram anyways, you'd end up with slower ram timings as well.
;)

I'm not sure about WinXP, but all windows but win2000 will give you this message if trying to open "hearts" (crappy card game that comes along, for the one who did not know):

"Not enough memory to proceed the "asked" operations"
(VERY bad translated from Norweigan)

What game where one of you talking about. The beta of Max Payne 45 which will be sent out in 2025???

Never heard of any game requiering that much ram, usually, the game producers leave the minimum at 64-128 to get more people buying their game.

elysium

Thermal said:
;)

really? i never heard that...do you have a link to some reliable stuff so i can read about it? much appreciated thermal if you can. i've got 512mb of crucial ddr 2100 but was going to move in an additional 512 stick of the same because i was planning on doing a lot of vid editing and run it as a server (possibly).

Thermal said:
;)

i think thats only windows 98 and below

and if u do go with more ram on 98 it will just allocate it to some weird file

DDR-PIII said:
I remember seeing a game that needed @least 768 or 1024Mb or ram in order to play it... anyways it was a game that was multiplayer and online only..

what game was this
thats s huge amount of ram to be used on a game

I'm not to sure it was a Maximum PC acticle about a PC deal ship selling sony PCs with 2Ghz CPU 1GB of RAm and something else anyways I'll try and find it...

Back