• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do I know if memory is bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

got a simple test or something. I am waitinf for my mobo to get back and have been thinking of possible other causes for my problems with the new board.

never had a bad stick of memory but if my board isn't faulty I may have 2 totally different bad sticks.

DDR memory- by the way. 1 PC2700 256/1 pc2100 256 mb

thanks,
Mike

rnpgrosz said:
But if you can post would that work??

If you can't boot then you can't use it.
If you can't boot then you need to try it in another board or use a hardware memory tester but those are about $800-1,000.

Those memory testers are really that much? A lot of times I see the memory dealers using them at computer shows.

yeah, but for 30 min or so, it can tell which ram is bad specifically, no need to wait for 8+ hours.......personally would never do it unless i went nutz..:D but i do prime for 24h straight, maybe i am nutz.:rolleyes:

They are probably causing troubles because you are using them together, not because either is bad. They are designed for different frequency ranges, so probably present different capacitive loads to the bus, when used together, this causes problems. Yes theoretically PC2700 works fine as 2100, however, things get wierd when you mix them. Some boards will cope, some boards won't. Some boards will work with them in a very particular arrangement and not at all otherwise.

RAM matching is getting tricky again :(

Road Warrior

Sounds like a memory tester is a waste of cash considering you could get an extra ddr mobo for testing for about $55.

rnpgrosz said:
Sounds like a memory tester is a waste of cash considering you could get an extra ddr mobo for testing for about $55.

Not really. For the individual, yes, getting another mobo to see if it works would be an option. But if you own a shop and your testing memory alot, one of these would come in handy. They do alot more than just see if it works. It does alot of diagnostics on the ram. It can also test, and permanently set the ram speed. You can find out what voltages you will get. This would be great for any overclocker. Although for the price, may be a little bit of overkill.

"you are having problems because you are using them together....."

I never said I was using them together. I have tried them seperate with the same results. nothing. that's why I needed to test each one since they were both new and different from different sources.

mike

it is an Epox 8K3A kt333 chipset.

I am now selling it. going to try an Nforce board.

thanks,
Mike

by the way I haven't used the Epox yet. I rma'd the first board and am not going to mess with second.

Back