• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mr. Natural's 39C BIOS and wire mod (batboy, you might be able to help me)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

First I would like to thanks Mr. Natural for a job well done on the 39C BIOS. Have not experienced any cold boot problems with my new Abit TH7II-RAID board yet, knock on wood, and currently have my 2GHz P4 running at 2.5GHz with memory running on 4x. I've tested stability using Hot CPU Tester Pro 3 LE and has run smoothly for 6 hours with no problems, enough time to issue a stability certificate. Pretty good burn in tester since it really, and I mean really stresses your system. Stresses your system so much in fact that it renders your computer unusable while its running, unless you are a very patient person. Runs a Complex Matrix test, Calculating Pi test, Quick Sort, Prime test, Memory test, and MMX test all at the same time.Well anyway, enough of my ranting, but after I saw that my system was stable at 2.5GHz, i decided to make the jump to my goal of 2.67GHz (533MHz FSB, PC1066 RDRAM), but alas my system did not like it I did some tweaking desperately trying to get my system to boot and isolate the problem. I found that my memory was not the limiting factor of since my system would not even boot at 3x memory settings. So I concluded that it was my CPU.

On to my question. I currently am water cooling my system, so I think that I can handle more voltage, i.e. heat, and was considering doing the wire mod on my CPU. I read some of batboy's sticky in the Intel CPU forums and read that with the pins wrapped to give a 1.7V default voltage he only got up to 1.85V option max on his Abit TH7II board. I'm not sure what BIOS he was using when he wrote the thread. So to those of you who are using Mr. Natural's 39C BIOS and are doing the wire trick with default voltage set to 1.7V, do you get voltage options up to 2.2V or should I just attempt the harder mod and wrap all four pins to set a default voltage of 1.85V? Thanks.

I suggest wrapping pins 1,2,3, and 4 with a thin copper wire (thats what I used). Since you have watercooling, this default voltage should not be a problem at all. I have the 4 vid pins wrapped for a default voltage of 1.85 and I can adjust voltages from about 1.3 to 2.20 in Mr. Naturals 39C BIOS. Save yourself the trouble and wrap all 4.

BTW - when wrapping the wires, I suggest cutting and shaping the wire before putting it on the back of the CPU, instead of trying to actually wrap it around the pins. Its fairly easy this way though I seem to have bionic eyes since I didn't need any magnification to do the vid pin wiring :)

I used two different BIOS files with the wire wrap ("38" and the "77"). Mr. Natural uses the same voltage settings as the "77" file so the 1.7v default will still only give a max setting of 1.85v. To obtain more, you'll need to either wrap VID pins 2, 3, 4 for 1.8v modified default or go for all four and wrap VID pins 1, 2, 3, 4 for 1.85v modified default (which unlocks the settings up to 2.2v).

voltage

Yep! I screwed up!.. I am currently running 2.608 on my 1.6 chip @ 1.825. I believe that had I done the four wire VID pin I would be pushing even more speed. I started with it at first and ended up thinking I would never gain these speeds so I settled for the 1.7 default (2pins). I ordered a maze 3 H20 block and I figured upon it's arrival a revised 4 pin mod will take place. My machine runs @ 2.7 actually it just reboots on test 5 or 6 in 3D Mark 2001. I'm thinking it's a power issue because the temperature rises only 2C although I must say I'm still not sure what I'm truly running as far as temp goes. I may be wrong, but I'm hoping that the increase in voltage will help.

Wrap all 4 and be done with it forever. Then you can use whatever bios you like and not worry about voltage. I am using the 39C and have up to 2.2 available to me.

Back