• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rdram Board Decision, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vfrjim1

I was thinking of going to a Rdram P4 board but was wondering a few things.

Which boards have the highest Vmem adjustment without having to do a Vmod?

On the same note, on tha same board(hopefully), how high can you adjust Vcore without a Vmod, or if you need to do a Vmod, how difficult was it?

I am looking for the most overclocking freindly Rdram board for a 478 chip and price really is no object, so all input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

ASUS P4T-e

I'm assuming you want a system with RDRAM cause you want the "Holy Grail" - PC1066?

If you get the ASUS P4T-e with the new RDRAM clock chips
that are rated for PC1066 then it's only a question of
finding PC800 RDRAM that will run @ PC1066.

Getting PC800 RDRAM that runs @ PC1066 can't be that hard. I bought (2) 128 MB sticks of Samsung single sided 8 device RDRAM at a local computer store a few weeks ago. It hits PC1066
rock solid. Went back and got another 2 sticks a week later.
They also hit PC1066 rock solid.

The Abit i850 boards scared me. Some of them can push PC1066
and some can't. It's a matter of luck. The newer ASUS P4T-e
boards (with the right RDRAM clock chips) WILL push PC1066 everytime.

That said, the ASUS board has got some sort of screwed up
BIOS where if you try and set the FSB, PCI, and AGP bus speeds
using the DIP switchs on the MB (which you must to get a workable combination) then it removes the voltage adjustment
in the BIOS.

You WILL have to pin trick if you get this board. On the otherhand, the P4T-e WILL push PC1066 if you do. The Abit
board "might" or "might not".

You may want to wait on the ASUS P4T533. It's supposed to be out in a few weeks and it will be defaulted to 133 cpu bus and will work with PC1066.

I think the only reason ASUS has the BIOS like it is on the P4T-e
is that if they didn't then NO ONE would buy the p4T533.

I would go with the Abit TH7II. Abit has proven stability and overclockability. Read the posts and see how many TH7II owners extreme overclock their systems (myself included). There is no "some do and some don't" with the TH7II. Again, read the posts and judge for yourself. Many TH7II owners hit PC1066 with ease and beyond! Most Samsung RDRAM will hit PC1066. The TH7II will also support the 133fsb P4's that are coming out in May and the PC1066 RDRAM. Really does not matter as all the Northwoods use the same core and really all Intel is doing is using the same core and changing multipliers and fsb internally in the chip as well as the cpuid. Most if not all 100fsb Northwoods will run 133fsb and beyond! Mine is running 140fsb rock stable. As far as voltage is concerned, Mr Natural on this forum has been modding Abit Bios's to go up to 1.85 volts without pin modding! Should be more than enough to push a 1.6a or 1.8a well into the 2.4+ range with standard cooling and around 1.7-1.85 volts. Pinning the cpu is easy also. Just bend a very fine wire in a U shape and insert into the MB socket. 2 end pins gets you 1.7 default volts and max 1.95 volts on the TH7II with the 7D bios by Mr. Natural. Features, overclockability and stability are just some of the pluses of the TH7II. You won't be disappointed!

"Many TH7II owners hit PC1066"

That's like saying many P4 1.6A's hit 2400MHz.

Fact is, the TH7II does not currently have with RDRAM clock
chips that are rated for PC1066. Look up the part number
on the chips, go to the manf. web site, and see for yourself.

There's a reason you see these mods occuring where they are swapping out the RDRAM clock chips on TH7II's. It's cause they can't get PC1066 speeds on the TH7II stable without doing it.

The ASUS P4T-e with the new RDRAM clock chips WILL be stable
with PC1066.

That said, I'm not dissing the Abit boards. My last board
before this one was an Abit

Had Abit upgraded the RDRAM clock chips on the TH711, I would
have gone with the Abit board.

But Abit dropped the ball on this one. For the time being, ASUS
has the only MB on the market that really works 100% of the
time with PC1066.

It ****es me off to no end that ASUS locks the voltage setting
in the BIOS when you use the DIP switches to get a workable
CPU, PCI, and AGP Bus speed. I can't think of any reason that ASUS did this other than to force you to pin trick your CPU, which
would in turn scare alot of people away from overclocking.

However, keep in mind that both ASUS and ABIT have likely been
under extreme pressure from Intel to NOT produce boards that
make it easy to PC1066.

There's a reason for that. A P4 running @ 2.4GHz with PC1066 benchmarks about the same as a P4 running @ 3GHz with PC800.

If Intel really is thinking about dropping support for RDRAM
and will not "offically" support PC1066 RDRAM then they know
it going to be hard to sell P4 3Ghz CPU's with DDR at
PC800 bandwidth this fall when you can overclock a P4 1.8A to
2400Mhz with PC800 RDRAM running @ PC1066 and get the
same performance.

RDRAMs are takted with 800Mhz. Thats clear.
BUT everybody speaks from boards which can use pc1066.
What does that mean?
Please answer me. I'd like to buy a p4 and rdrams and a board :D

PC1066

You can't buy PC1066 today. Just like you can't buy a P4 2.6Ghz
CPU today. But...

You can overclock a P4 1.8A CPU to 2.6Ghz.

Likewise, you can overclock PC800 RDRAM to PC1066.

Get it?

Honestly, I'd wait and get the new Asus P4T533 if I were you. It's a 533fsb board, made to work best with the 533 speed P4's coming out. The release of the P4T533 is within the month now, and will come with some PC1066 RAM.

You can easily overclock today's 1.6A processor to 2.2 and greater, and the board/memory will not be running out of spec.

Re: PC1066

Rump Roaster said:
You can't buy PC1066 today. Just like you can't buy a P4 2.6Ghz
CPU today. But...

You can overclock a P4 1.8A CPU to 2.6Ghz.

Likewise, you can overclock PC800 RDRAM to PC1066.

Get it?

Yes. I have just thought about that.
I'm going to buy the p4 board... not earlier than august.
Do you think I'm able to overclock the pc1066 higher than 133mhz? Also when i will buy the pc1066 Rams (@133mhz FSB) and a cpu with 133mhz FSB (2,6ghz) am i able to overclock this cpu easily at 3ghz? Like: 20*133=2660 <- ordinary then: 20*150=3000 Mhz and the Samsung Rams: 4*150 = 600 *2 =1200 Mhz ??
Short:
P4 2,6 @ 3ghz
Samsung Rams 533 Mhz(pc1066) @ 600(pc1200)
Does that run?
I hope you will understand my bad english *g*
cu ccg

Back