• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taking a 1.6 'woody' up the o/c lane - Best 845D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biodome

Greetz Folks!! :)

I'm about to build a rig based on a 1.6A.
After a little research (observing forums, o/cs databases, boards reviews) I've noticed the highest O/Cers got with this woody air-cooled (even stock sometimes) is somewhere around the 2.7-2.8ghz mark.. and it's always on a 845D based board (doesn't matter manufacture really - Asus P4B266, MSI Ultra845, Abit BD7, Epox 4BDA, Gigabyte, they all crossed the 2.6ghz mark), guess that intel knows how to make their chipsets work with their cpus.. ;)

Now my rig will have to be ultra silent as it will be a part of my home theater system.
Thus, the chosen heatsink is the Zalman CNPS-6500A-Cu..
Yes the weird flower made all of copper with a fan floating above it that weights about a 900gr... Looking at a review it got about only 2 degrees behind the AVC Sun Flower, at a MUCH lower loudness.. Anybody maybe know a compare between it and the Alpha PAL8942?

Now back to the issue.. I need to select the most badass 845D based mobo for o/cing a 1.6 woddy! :cool:

1. The Abit BD7 - They're always first when it comes for o/c. They got SoftMenu III, highest VCore adjust (2.2v), and Fix PCI feature.
But the Fix PCI I understand isn't working yet (cold boots), and actually I didn't find too many great results with it.. usually ppl with it are around the 150FSB, and the highest I've seen was 178 in a forum somewhere..

2. The MSI 845Ultra-ARU - It topped the review on the HardOCP site, but somehow I feel they didn't go to the max.. And again most of the high o/cs in the databases I checked where with this baby. But for some reason I don't really like it....

3. The Epox 4BDA - People seem to really like it, even when not passing the 2.4ghz mark with it, overall great opinions on it, Vmem up to 2.9v. Can lock the PCI and AGP on 33/66. And seen passing the 2.6ghz. but some had issues with Enermax psus, which is probably the one i'm gonna get.

Now I'm having trouble choosing which board is the best for taking the woody to it's limit air cooled, what do u think?

Basically, 2.4ghz will be enough for me.. considering such a cpu costs here (Israel) around $660!!! (before the %17 taxes!!), and 1.6A costs only $170, so that's some bang for buck....
But if this cpu can go over the 2400mhz mark, who am I to stop it? :D

I have an Asus P4B266-C, I'd stay away from it until Asus decides to fix the memory multiplier in the BIOS. I've seen lots of good comments about the Epox boards. I'm kinda wishing I got one now so I could push my memory to it's max.

What are your intentions with this machine if it's gonna be part of your home theather system? If your gonna play movies and mp3's with it I'd go a little more conservative on the overclock and use the Intel heatsink and fan if you need it to be silent. I got mine running at 2.4 now even though I can push it higher and it's damn fast as it is.

Well for home theater it will connect to the receiver to play dvds/games/mp3...

But besides that it will also function as my lan box when possible..

I'm plannig to stuff this computer inside a receiver box... :)
Mod it to fit and to be with good quiet airflow.

Back