• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v line low with Antec 400w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxer

I have an Antec 400w PSU and all of the voltages are good except the +12v line which goes all the way down to +11.62-+11.68 full load. I'm not sure what it runs at idle since i'm running Prime 95 now. Is the +12v the extra AT molex connector thing? So is this a problem or is it fine(prime 95 seems to be running stable so far)?

BTW- I just took apart my computer to revamp the watercooling system to work inside, could it be that the +12v connector is loose or something?

I'll echo this, I have a Antec 350W PS, and my +12V line is at 11.67, though I am at 2.28 on a 1.6a.

amd_builder said:
I have an Antec 400w PSU and all of the voltages are good except the +12v line which goes all the way down to +11.62-+11.68 full load. I'm not sure what it runs at idle since i'm running Prime 95 now. Is the +12v the extra AT molex connector thing? So is this a problem or is it fine(prime 95 seems to be running stable so far)?

BTW- I just took apart my computer to revamp the watercooling system to work inside, could it be that the +12v connector is loose or something?
The 12V line is used heavily by the P4, and also runs things like hard drives, floppy drives, CDroms, and your fans. The extra connector you are referring to is the extra 12V line used with the P4. I doubt if your connector is loose but it wouldn't hurt to check.

My new 400W Antec also ran a little low at 12V. If you are really concerned, your power supply might be adjustable. Don't know which Antec model you have but if it is a pp412x, then perhaps this link will help you to adjust it: http://www.3dxtreme.org/psumod.shtml

I did it and adjusted it to about 12.2V and it never drops below 12.1V under load. Remember that this adjustment also changes the 5V line so watch both. My 3.3V was just fine as is and so I didn't touch it.

Doormat, I don't know if the Antec 350 is adjustable and so the only way to find out is to look. As a side note I was running an Antec 300W model and it also ran low. There were no internal adjustment to be made on it.:(

Last edited:
Yea, I have the Antec 400w pp412x PSU. If the connector isn't loose or anything i'm going to modify the pot.

Re: Re: 12v line low with Antec 400w

Dennis112 said:
Doormat, I don't know if the Antec 350 is adjustable and so the only way to find out is to look. As a side note I was running an Antec 300W model and it also ran low. There were no internal adjustment to be made on it.:(
Ok, I'll look one day when I get free time. Would the fact that I have 4 7200RPM drives in my comp affect the fact that my 12V line is low?

Hey guys, don't do that voltage mod for the +12v and +5v pot on the PSU, it screws up the -12v line. I had my +5v @ +5.20v and my +12v @ +12.06 but my -12v was at -13.01! I changed it back and now my -12v goes down to -12.93. I'm not sure if it was like that before.

amd_builder said:
Hey guys, don't do that voltage mod for the +12v and +5v pot on the PSU, it screws up the -12v line. I had my +5v @ +5.20v and my +12v @ +12.06 but my -12v was at -13.01! I changed it back and now my -12v goes down to -12.93. I'm not sure if it was like that before.
Hmmm. . .

From what I remember, the -12V isn't used for anything. Mine is at -12.44V with the +12V adjustments set for 12.2 on my pp412x. Too bad you didn't see what it was before. I don't know what mine was before either.

You might want to start a new post to see if it is important. I doubt if it really matters what it (or the -5V) reads, but then again I don't want to pass on any (anymore) bad advice.:(

It does appear that you were at a good place with the +5V and the +12V though . . . .

After this, I decided to do that mod. Now my 12V line is 12.10 at zero load and 11.98 at full load. Whats more important is that the 2.4ghz (150 fsb) looks more stable. running prime 95 for 2 hours and has not crashed yet. (use to crash under 1 hour before the mod) The temps are higher than my liking (59 C) but hopefully that can be fixed with a better HSF than the retail.
I had to turn half qurter turn for my Antec 412X

zzzz-
I have the same Antec power supply and am thinking of turning up the +12V POT tomorrow.
Now, since the +5V and +12V is adjusted by the same POT, what does your +5V read at now after you tweaked it?

Thanks

Back