• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-6OXET f10 bios vs. WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuSEQ

Registered
Hi, all!

I recently got me a Gigabyte 6OXET for my P3 1GHz; mainly because of the additional divders and the saving on a soundcard.

This morning, I wanted to try out these multipliers, an dI flashed a newly downloaded f10 BIOS. After that was done, my Win XP installation hed gone completely corrupted, leavin only a message that "\windows\system32\config\system was missing or corrupted" and that I could "replace this file when boorting in repair mode". I did so, but got none the wiser from the text prompt I got. As chkdsk reported HDD errors, I reinstalled Windows XP @ 133MHz FSB.

All went well, and after another reboot, I set the FSB to 150. Some configuring went on, and SuperPi was run just fine. I then increaed further to 152, and still no problems. I then tried 154FSB, and there I was again: "System file missing or corrupt".

Before I rush off doing another lot of reinstalling and tweaking, what could be the cause? I ran up to 153 FSB on this board with the original bios; The CPU can take 160 easily, and the RAM is capable of more than 154 FSB. The PCI cards won't be the cause either, I guess... Could it be the harddrive disliking the high PCI bus?

I guess I will try to reflash the original Bios, but how do I go about replacing that file in "repair mode"? I'll start scouring the MSKB in a minute...

Gr, SuSEQ

[edit]Typo's got corrected... ;)[/edit]

Make sure you select the Pll divider that keeps your pci/agp bus speeds as close to spec as possible as it sounds like your pci bus is going too high....The new bios won't automatically select 1/4 pci, you have to do it manually using the Pll dividers....

You will find the Pll dividers under overclocking/voltage control in the bios.

Flu!d said:
Make sure you select the Pll divider that keeps your pci/agp bus speeds as close to spec as possible as it sounds like your pci bus is going too high....The new bios won't automatically select 1/4 pci, you have to do it manually using the Pll dividers....

You will find the Pll dividers under overclocking/voltage control in the bios.
So just setting those to disabled isn't enough, then? I'll first have to fix the FUBAR registry (found a MSKB article on how to do just that), befor I'll be able to test...

Gr, SuSEQ

Forgot to ask: which BIOS do you use?

No....You can't just set the dividers to 'disabled' and expect results....You 'have' to specify a divider - It isn't that hard! Otherwise you have to 'expect' HDD corruption due to a way out of spec pci bus.

I'm running bios version F9.

Flu!d said:
No....You can't just set the dividers to 'disabled' and expect results....You 'have' to specify a divider - It isn't that hard! Otherwise you have to 'expect' HDD corruption due to a way out of spec pci bus.

I'm running bios version F9.
I've checked the BIOS, and if I set the PLL function to disabled, it shows a greyed out 33/66 when running @ 133 FSB... So I guess everything was a bit OC'ed, but not this much that I need an other divider; 1/4 isn't even in the list... My other mobo (Asus TuSL2C) ran happily at more than 44MHz PCI with other/newer HDD's, so my best bet is a non-OC-able HDD...

The WinXP install went Fubar, so I guess it'll be back to the installCD. Maybe I have the chanche to toss in a better HDD later this week...

Gr, SuSEQ

With a 133fsb default chip, I dont think you would have to
use the pll16 divisor until you got to 154fsb or above.....

I have had a drive or 2 that didnt like anything over 39-40mhz.

Would get corrupt registry errors and junk. (Win 98)

*I am using the F10 on both my boards. Both win98.
No problems, but cant tell if any different than F9 or not....:rolleyes:

Back