• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athlonman

A friend of mine has Dell Dimension 8100 and he wants to upgrade his ram from 128 to 256. is it possible to mix pc600 with pc 800. I am pretty sure it will just make the pc 800 run slower what do you guys think?

thanks Athlonman

I wouldn't even touch it. The chances are you will end up messing something up, with those dells they make it hell to upgrade. I tried to upgrade my friends dell p4 system by putting in another 128 mb rdram and ended up frying the onboard network card and the cat5 cable it was connected to. Don't ask me how it happened. :mad: But try it if you want, I guess it wouldn't hurt :confused: .

rnpgrosz said:
I wouldn't even touch it. The chances are you will end up messing something up, with those dells they make it hell to upgrade. I tried to upgrade my friends dell p4 system by putting in another 128 mb rdram and ended up frying the onboard network card and the cat5 cable it was connected to. Don't ask me how it happened. :mad: But try it if you want, I guess it wouldn't hurt :confused: .

really i didn't know dells where like that. maybe dell has ram made special just for there comps?

Well techincally I think replacing the ram would work, but be very careful because it is very easy to mess things up when upgrading a dell. Don't replace power supply or mobo though. Good Luck.

rnpgrosz said:
Well techincally I think replacing the ram would work, but be very careful because it is very easy to mess things up when upgrading a dell. Don't replace power supply or mobo though. Good Luck.

ohh yeah I have seen those power supplyes there crazy.

Athlonman said:
A friend of mine has Dell Dimension 8100 and he wants to upgrade his ram from 128 to 256. is it possible to mix pc600 with pc 800. I am pretty sure it will just make the pc 800 run slower what do you guys think?

thanks Athlonman

No....not w/ any system spec do we mix memory grade.;)

We have three Dell's here at work and the only way I found to upgrade them in term's of RAM was to go to Price Watch and buy either two sticks of matching Dell compliant memory or one large one.

I would also uninstall all of the Dell software if possible. All of their system monitoring s l o w s things down.

Wedo

Re: Re: Re: Will this work?

Athlonman said:

I don't understand, what do you mean?

You cannot mix pc600 with pc 800.....it can cause some serious conflicts in your system.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Will this work?

Thermal said:

You cannot mix pc600 with pc 800.....it can cause some serious conflicts in your system.

Not to mention its a Dell. :)

That's an i850 chipset. The RIMMS have to be in pairs and must be same speed. If he didn't want to spend a bunch of dough with a memory upgrade, the helpful folks at Dell should have explained the P4/RAMBUS debacle...I mean architecture to him. After all, it's easy as Dell...I mean hell.;)

Dell makes a good business system (PIII GX150). They aren't the best in the performance department, but they are definitely reliable. Eventually going to the P4 architecture, when it really isn't necessary, sure is going to suck, IMNSHO.

Back