• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7 Owners Give me Overclocking Advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zecatsjam

My system
P4 1.6 northwood
BD7-raid
512 pc2100 crucial
gefoce3TI500
SB audigy
21inch HP monitor
400 nonswitchable ATX modified for the extra two 12volt lines

MY 1.6 northwood is only stable at 1.92
If if push it to 2.0 I get a CMOS error
What gives? How come I can't even hit the average of 2.3?
No I didn't do the voltage mod.I've been overclocking since the celeron 366 and have done several systems since then and have never known that upping the voltage increased the stability of the higher FSB settings in my personal exp. I have noticed that allot of people have been doing mods this whole time, but I can never see an advantage in the chips that I use.
Why does my chip not like the fixed AGP-pci settings? It gets scetchy if I ever have them fixed.
Is cooling your CPU still making a big enough difference to make it worth it? I don't think I'd dare go back to using peltiers on a chip like this.
A-Bomb

hehe

Yes flash the best bd7.b02 bios.
then make sure your memory is at 1;1 then set fsb to 133

set your cpu volt to 1.7 now reboot.
see if it comes up.
May bge u just need a bit more juice.

Randy

Last edited:
Yup, If you set your CPU to 133FSB, your mem to 1:1, set your memory timeings to 2.5,6,3,3 (just to start with) and boot her up,should be fine, then when u know it's stable, try setting your memory timeings to 2,5,2,2 and see if it's still solid :)

Thats what mines at now, and I don't even have to increace teh core voltage, I'm still at default 1.5V for the core and 2.5V for the memory :)

HeXaDeCiMaL said:
Yup, If you set your CPU to 133FSB, your mem to 1:1, set your memory timeings to 2.5,6,3,3 (just to start with) and boot her up,should be fine, then when u know it's stable, try setting your memory timeings to 2,5,2,2 and see if it's still solid :)

Thats what mines at now, and I don't even have to increace teh core voltage, I'm still at default 1.5V for the core and 2.5V for the memory :)

Hey hex-
Are you talking about after you flash to the bo2 bios?
I solved my cold boot problem by fliping the 1dip switch to off and the 2 to on.
Ummm When you say your mem to 1:1 uh where do i do that? Are you talking about the FSB ratio? If so I dont have that option or atleast on the v6 bios it came with I dont think. I know how to get the Dram settings to 2.5,6,3,3
See I've never flashed my bios b4- can you give me a link that tells me step by step? I have the bo2 on a floppy now, but is it nessisary since I solved my cold boot? Would it only be of use for the extra volts? When you said yours is at 1.5 it leads me to beleive that voltage is less relevant than people might think, or atleast thats what I've found as well with my systems.
A-Bomb

zecatsjam said:

Hey hex-
Are you talking about after you flash to the bo2 bios?
I solved my cold boot problem by fliping the 1dip switch to off and the 2 to on.
Ummm When you say your mem to 1:1 uh where do i do that? Are you talking about the FSB ratio? If so I dont have that option or atleast on the v6 bios it came with I dont think. I know how to get the Dram settings to 2.5,6,3,3
See I've never flashed my bios b4- can you give me a link that tells me step by step? I have the bo2 on a floppy now, but is it nessisary since I solved my cold boot? Would it only be of use for the extra volts? When you said yours is at 1.5 it leads me to beleive that voltage is less relevant than people might think, or atleast thats what I've found as well with my systems.
A-Bomb

Lo,

Right I'm still using the original 4X BIOS as all the ones since have not helped my cold boot even made it worse, this is not the case for other ppl such as yourself who has solved there boot issues, personally I wouldn't bother updating your bios until an official one comes out if you have fixed your Code 26 boot problem.

As for the memory ratio, yes it's the FSB ratio, in the SoftMenu III screen of my BIOS the options I can choose from are DDR200 and DDR266, however in later BIOS revisions this option is changed to 1:1 and 3:4 (which is exactly the same as DDR200 and DDR266 respectivly ;) ) , by setting it to 1:1 (or DDR200) you are efectivly increacing your memory speed as you increace the CPU FSB, therefore when you have your CPU on a 133FSB your memory will also be @ it's default 133Mhz setting, so it is not being stressed all, meaning you should get 2.13Ghz (with a 1.6A Northwood) easily no problems :)

As for the DRAM timings the setting's I have stated are simply less agressive so even poor quality memory should have no problem booting @ default voltage on both the CPU and memory, however as a start I would leave the memory voltage @ 2.5V but up the CPU voltage to 1.55V (just incase) then once your up and away @ 2.13, try lowering the voltage to 1.5V see if your still stable (it works for me :) ) then once thats sorted try setting your memory to 2,5,2,2 this is a more agressive memory timing but will increace memory performance, most memory should be fine at this setting @ it's default 133Mhz clock speed...

Hope this helps.

HeX.

HeXaDeCiMaL said:

I had it on DDR 200 and 3:1 at the same time so is it 1:1 or 3:1 memory is set to what you said for safty and I got this message just prior to my desktop "While intalizing NDIS a windows protection error occured. Please restart your computer."
Upped the voltage to 6.25 no go there eather.
A-Bomb
Lo,

Right I'm still using the original 4X BIOS as all the ones since have not helped my cold boot even made it worse, this is not the case for other ppl such as yourself who has solved there boot issues, personally I wouldn't bother updating your bios until an official one comes out if you have fixed your Code 26 boot problem.

As for the memory ratio, yes it's the FSB ratio, in the SoftMenu III screen of my BIOS the options I can choose from are DDR200 and DDR266, however in later BIOS revisions this option is changed to 1:1 and 3:4 (which is exactly the same as DDR200 and DDR266 respectivly ;) ) , by setting it to 1:1 (or DDR200) you are efectivly increacing your memory speed as you increace the CPU FSB, therefore when you have your CPU on a 133FSB your memory will also be @ it's default 133Mhz setting, so it is not being stressed all, meaning you should get 2.13Ghz (with a 1.6A Northwood) easily no problems :)

As for the DRAM timings the setting's I have stated are simply less agressive so even poor quality memory should have no problem booting @ default voltage on both the CPU and memory, however as a start I would leave the memory voltage @ 2.5V but up the CPU voltage to 1.55V (just incase) then once your up and away @ 2.13, try lowering the voltage to 1.5V see if your still stable (it works for me :) ) then once thats sorted try setting your memory to 2,5,2,2 this is a more agressive memory timing but will increace memory performance, most memory should be fine at this setting @ it's default 133Mhz clock speed...

Hope this helps.

HeX.

Ah I see what your doing wrong :) sorry, theres a bit of confusion going on here conerning ratios... my fault didn' c what u were getting at :)

Right Do everything I said in the previous post, set your memory to DDR200 , the CPU:pCI ratio to 4:1 and your FSB to 133 that should work fine :)

HeX.

Hexi- It will let me post, 4:1 ddr200, 2.5,6,3,3
I come up 2.13 and it seems to want to make it all the way- but I'm still getting the "While intalizing the NDiS Windows expeirenced a fatal exeption."
I tried the 1.625 core voltage- same deal
Grrr the notoriouse fatal execption to the rule--- think if I flashed it would get rid of that error?
If so, tell me how- I already have the Bo2 on disk like i said.

A-Bomb

zecatsjam said:
Hexi- It will let me post, 4:1 ddr200, 2.5,6,3,3
I come up 2.13 and it seems to want to make it all the way- but I'm still getting the "While intalizing the NDiS Windows expeirenced a fatal exeption."
I tried the 1.625 core voltage- same deal
Grrr the notoriouse fatal execption to the rule--- think if I flashed it would get rid of that error?
If so, tell me how- I already have the Bo2 on disk like i said.

A-Bomb

Thats very strange, you shouldn't get any problems at that speed cos nothing is clocked but the CPU.... right try the following individually and see if it helps...

Instead of the 2.5,6,3,3 memory timeings set it to "By SPD",if that doesn't work try these (leave the memory to "By SPD"), instead of 4:1 set it to FIX=33 , also try setting the memory voltage to 2.7V.

If non of that works i'll explain how to flash your BIOS OK :)

HeX

With the new settings its an instant-

Bios Rom Checksum error
i
and the pc speaker goes two notes from high to low.
Everything like you said-
I tried it fixed at 33 and 4:1
the ram is set 2,5,3,3
DDR 2.7
cpu 1.5 and 1.625
FSB 133
I'm doing it on win98 so that may make a difference

A-Bomb

Sorry for the late reply, been away for the weekend :)

Right, u can try the new beta BIOS, but I don't know how much luck u will have, it made my stability worse, but it might work for u :)

right to flash the BIOS (the Hex way ;) ) :

First in windows extract the files to a directory in your root C: directory e.g C:\New_BIOS ....

Next make sure in the directory, there is the BIOS .BIN file and the AWDFLASH.EXE util ....

Right, now for the flashing...

Restart your PC, as it comes up saying Starting Up Win98.... press the F8 key a menu should appear...

Select "Safe Mode DOS prompt only" or something to that effect...

now change to the directory with the bios .bin file in...

at the DOS command promt type awdflash ????????.??? backup.bin (insert the file name of the bin file where the ??? are) :)

just follow the onscreen instructions ...

when it's finished programming, reset and your done, if the bios is ****e simply flash the backup.bin back on to get your original bios back :)

Hope it help m8

HeX :cool:

Back