• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When is DDR II or PC1066 coming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Does anyone know when DDR II (533 MHz) or PC1066 (533 MHz) Rambus are going to be released?

I'm building a new system in June and I'm trying to get my budget together.

Any knowledgeable help appreciated.

not by June, but VIA's KT400 will be dropping into the market around June and will boast a 200mhz FSB.
If AMD would just make Tbred "Officially" 400 mhz fsb DDR they would be making a great career move IMHO
-Malakai

is there any web site, that talks about the new upcoming 400 chips, and the motherboard differences. like the 8x agp and usb 2.0 and so forth.

Actually, I'm thinking of building a P4 system, unless something happens with AMD chipsets that would put them over the top of RDRAM at 1066.

correct me if im wrong, but i have been an amd fan for the longest time, granted rdram is much faster. but when you factor in the cost, you could purchase pc2700 and run extreme settings, and match if not beat rdram settings. this will save you much much money, plus you'll be using amd, and WE know who is better at crunching :)

cmcquistion said:
Actually, I'm thinking of building a P4 system, unless something happens with AMD chipsets that would put them over the top of RDRAM at 1066.
there is much more to ram than just the bandwidth.
while DDRII will perform on par with RDRAM pc1066, RDRAM has much higher latencies. it is good for transferring large blocks of data, but requesting multiple chunks of data on RDRAM takes significantly longer on RDRAM, which is why pc2700 can take on 800mhz RDRAM in benchies without to much difficulty, if u know your way around latency settings in the bios
-Malakai

With this computer, for the first time ever, cost is not an issue. That's why I'm "considering" a P4. I've been using AMD for years and I'm a big fan, but "if" I can get better performance out of a P4, than that's what I'm going to build. Problem is, I have to build this computer in June or July, I can't build it after that, so I wan't to get the best that I can at that time.

If RDRAM@533MHz beats out DDR@200MHz, then I guess I'll go with the P4. From what I can tell using Sisoft Sandra's benchmark scores, a 33% boost in RDRAM scores would be higher than a 50% boost in DDR scores.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic.

Any suggestions?

use a new amd chipset "333" with pc2700 and you will scream faster than rdram. and heres my question. ok money is no objection, so you are willing to pay almost 500$ more for a little say 5-10% increase??? you could spend that extra 500$ on some of that liquid that you submerge the m.b and it like keeps the temps at like almost nothing. its real, i just forgot the name of the stuff :). either way good luck with your project and let us know how thing go.

PC2700 is faster than RDRAM at PC800 level, but is it faster at PC1066 level? That is the question. I figure, DDR is probably going to max out at around 200 FSB. RDRAM will probably max out at 533 FSB. What will DDR II do, however. I guess that's anyone's guess. It won't be available by June, some people are saying, so I guess it's probably not an option.

I would love to see some kind of benchmarks for DDR @ 200 and RDRAM @ 533. Can anyone post Sandra scores?

cmcquistion said:
With this computer, for the first time ever, cost is not an issue. That's why I'm "considering" a P4. I've been using AMD for years and I'm a big fan, but "if" I can get better performance out of a P4, than that's what I'm going to build. Problem is, I have to build this computer in June or July, I can't build it after that, so I wan't to get the best that I can at that time.

If RDRAM@533MHz beats out DDR@200MHz, then I guess I'll go with the P4. From what I can tell using Sisoft Sandra's benchmark scores, a 33% boost in RDRAM scores would be higher than a 50% boost in DDR scores.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic.

Any suggestions?
I believe that pc1066rdram and DDR400 will be right on par with each other. DDR II should be faster than everything.
-Malakai

Benchmark with the rig in my sig -

Sandra score with 512mb Samsung RDRAM pc800(400) @ 1066(533)

MemBench.PNG

I doubt any DDR currently available could score higher then that. I'm not sure about ddr400.

Last edited:
cmcquistion said:
PC2700 is faster than RDRAM at PC800 level, but is it faster at PC1066 level? That is the question. I figure, DDR is probably going to max out at around 200 FSB. RDRAM will probably max out at 533 FSB. What will DDR II do, however. I guess that's anyone's guess. It won't be available by June, some people are saying, so I guess it's probably not an option.

I would love to see some kind of benchmarks for DDR @ 200 and RDRAM @ 533. Can anyone post Sandra scores?

2907/2898.
Cpu speed does make a difference in sandra as well as the chipset and even motherboard model.

This was run with the Epox 4SDA (sis645) with the cpu at 2448mhz.

Not sure if the intel 845 would score better, the sis645dx chipset is supposed to have better memory performance than the 645.

In theory ddr running at 200mhz(400ddr) would give a score of 3200 if the chipset-cpu gave 100% efficency.

Last edited:
I have a P4T-E board with ICS-13 DRCGs. I currently have a 1.6a up to 2.3 gig at 144 FSB/4X. The system is not 100% stable, as I get minor memory problems, but 3D runs fine, and the last couple of runs of 3DMark2001/2000 have all cleared. Last night I just installed a Leadtek 250 Ultra TD and got it stable at 338/747, with two 80 mm fans hotglued to the heatsink. I also completed the CodeMaster demo, X-Island demo, the Wolfman demo, and the Serious Sam 2nd Encounter demos no problem so I would say the whole system is stable enough in 3d for me :). I broke 12k with the latest Detonator 28.90s, which is pretty good for just a 2.3 gigger.

I've done extensive testing and RDRAM can hit bandwidths without sweating that DDR guys can only drool over.

Yes, PC1066 should hit around 3300/3300, but only 20-25% of the guys can run truly stable there (133/4X RDRAM), since getting good RDRAM is a crapshoot. At my 144 FSB/4X, I am at PC1152 and I get 3583/3581!

At 138/4X (PC1104), I still got 3450/3450. Even at 144/3X (PC864), I got 3000/3000.

There are some guys on Anandtech who are breaking 3000/3000 with DDR but they are using the Samsung PC2700 DDR333 and they have to run a 3:4 ratio on their FSB to hit 200+ mhz on the ram. That's really pushing it, though it's only 150 FSB for the CPU. Most guys hitting 180-200 FSB on the DDR are getting 2800/2700 or a bit less.

Just plain PC800 should be good for around 2500/2500. So when official PC1066 comes out, DDR guys will have a hard time matching 3300/3300. But I hear the PC1066 will be 32-bit and not sure it will be compatible with PC800 motherboards.

BTW, I got nothing against DDR. In fact, I just broke down and bought 512 MB of the same Samsung DDR, since I gave up trying to run SDRAM on my XP1600 rig. Since I already have the DDR and a Northwood, I said what the heck and picked up a used P4B266-E board last weekend. Now I'm ready to go DDR with the Northwood (but the board doesn't do 3:4 above 133 FSB). It will be a step backward from the P4T-E performance-wise even if it did, but it may be more stable on the memory end. But frankly, I wonder how stable that DDR is at 200 FSB? After all, anyone can post and boot into an OS long enough to pull off a couple of Sandra benches, but can they clear 3DMark2001? I found I can pass Prime95 no problem yet lockup in that.

Yes I have samsung 2700 stable at 220mhz runs P-95,3D mark, web surfing. Played Dungeon Siege for an hour.

I run it at 204mhz due to my cpu's max fsb is 136 but I can run it at faster memory timings at 204mhz.

I could post screenshots but it wouldn't prove anything due to sandra will only show the cpu 4x136 and the memory timings.

I get 11800 in 3dmark 2001 with the video card at default speed.

I guess you will have to belive or not, or try for yourself unless you know a program that will show the memory speed on a sis 645 chipset.

Here is my 3d mark link.
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3349247

Last edited:
Back