• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neebie needs help on new ASUS board...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sak

I'm planning on getting the ASUS P4B motherboard, but can't really tell the differences between the different boards. According to ASUS's website, this is what they have:

P4B
P4B-E
P4B-LS
P4B266
P4B266-E
P4B266-C
P4B266-SE

What are the differences in these boards anyways? Are the differences only the options that comes with it? All I want is the Overclocking Ability, and not the extra on-board stuff! Can anyone suggest a board for me that will be the least expensive out of the bunch above?

Thank!

P4B = i845 w/ PC133? (or is it 100) support only.
P4B266 = i845D w/ DDR266 support
P4B266-E = RAID Support
P4B266-C = No idea.
P4B266-SE = No idea.

Anything not listed i could not find info for.

Edit - someone beat me to it.

P4B266-C is fairly stripped, ie no raid, usb 2.0 etc. It has all the oc features of the others. The -SE appears to be a midline board.

1. Okay so that means that the P4B is out then since it doesn't support DDR. Wait does that mean all P4B boards don't have DDR support except for the ones with 266 in it?

2. I don't need RAID support so that also eliminates the P4B266-E from my list.

3. That leaves me with these:

P4B-E (?, is it the same as the P4B but different options?)
P4B-LS (?, is it the same as the P4B but different options?)P4B266
P4B266-C
P4B266-SE

One more thing, DDR and USB 2.0 is a must have. Does that mena the P4B boards are out of the list and only the P4B266's are ledt?

Last edited:
Only the P4B266 supports DDR. No *266 means no DDR. Raid is optional on -E model along with usb 2.0. USB 2.0 is optional on P4B266 also but does not appear to be available on -C or -SE. It appears you need to pay attention to the retailers description to make sure the optional features you want are on the board. Newegg has the P4B266 w/ USB 2.0 for $145. I believe the core features are the same throughout the P4B266 family.

Thanks for the clear up. So basically just as long as the retailer says that it comes with it, then it comes with it. And if its not listed then the board doesn't come with it. Correct?

I guess the P4B266 is the board then! Now I can get to the shopping!

sak said:
Thanks for the clear up. So basically just as long as the retailer says that it comes with it, then it comes with it. And if its not listed then the board doesn't come with it. Correct?

I guess the P4B266 is the board then! Now I can get to the shopping!

Looks like you got it figured out:) . The retailers with better ratings should be more trustworthy on their descriptions. Newegg.com is very good as far as descriptions go and their service is very good. You will pay a little more than the low price on pricewatch but may save a headache.

Back