• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 northwood for 100$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lenguinx

Registered
I am looking for a motherboard for a P4 Northwood for around 100$ with good overclocking compatabilitiy, any suggestions?

Epox EP-4SDA (SiS 645 chipset) or the i845 counterpart EP-4BDA, you'll want to stay away from the RAID versions if you want to keep it around $100.00.

The Epox 4SDA can be picked up for $77 and is a great overclocking board. Even the RAID version, the 4SDA+ is only $92.

I have selected to go with the 1.8a for the processor, thanks for the advice on the mobo, i will check those out, just from first impressions am liking the sound of the $77 board, i feel another case mod coming on

Well I am not goin to overclock too much and i have read good things about the 1.8 as well, because you don't have to up the voltage as much

I have a 1.6a and it does 2.6 at stock hsf just temps a little high over 50 I backed it down to 133 and now temps 41 and 48 load but don't take my work Look in the BD and see which clocks better but the again you da boss with the cash enjoy.

Alright man, I'll give the ole northy 1.6 a look too, before i make my final decision :)

The 1.6A kicks ***, I easily O/C'd mine to 2.4 with an AVC Sunflower cooler. It idles around 22-26C depending on the temp in my room and has never got over 42C under full load. I pushed it higher but it's super stable at the speed it's at now and since I share my PC with my wife I don't need it crashing at higher speeds on her when I'm not home. Specs on my system are in my sig but I don't recommend the Asus board til they fix the memory muliplier in the BIOS :D

I want 2500-2700mhz with no more than 1.7v, so 1.6 or 1.8 northy, watercooling the chip of course

Has anyone used the aquastealth 2 system for watercooling? I plan on purchasing, but would like some feedback

Just looking at the CPU Database on Overclockers.com the majority of the 1.6A and 1.8A chips are at 1.7 and higher when they hit the 2.5Ghz and higher range so you might need to bump it higher then 1.7 to get the speed you want unless you get a really good chip.

there is a decent chance i can get a 1.8 northy at 2.5 with 1.7v so i will just hope

Back