• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video severly drags if my fsb is set higher than 144 !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

griffin_hr

FYI - This is also posted in the Video Card section as well.

I am running my p4 1.6a on a asus p4b266-c with a pny geforce3 ti200. Currently I am at 144fsb, and 1.575vcore. The max I can get on my card is 228/490 which then posts a 3dmark2001 score at 7539 (stock vid card settings posted 6011). I tried to bump up the fsb to 150, and the fps in the first test was 1 to 2 (i forgot to look at the official results at the end)! I let the benchmark complete and the score to my surprise was 511.( i thought it would be lower).

Anyone know why this is happening ?

Thanks.

i don't know if this helps but maybe it would be somewhat insightful. i have an asus cuscl-2 with a celly 900@ 1020. when i don't have it overclocked 3dmark can use the 4x agp, but when i have it overclocked i can only use the 2x agp. i also don't know if the pci divided kicks in on this board cause on mine it doesn't until i hit a fsb of 133 so.... maybe the vidcard can't handle the rate of info coming to it.

this is just some general ideas. i don't know if they will help you at all

oh, p.s.

overclocking is like tweaking a car, sometimes the biggest gain on paper doesn't actually apply in real life. in essence the components may have a limit to the stress they can take and you need to back off a little.

but what do i know i only run a celly.

Good Luck!

I don't know how you are cooling the CPU but if you get it hot enough it will throttle down to keep from burning up which will affect overall performance. You maybe hitting that point at 150 FSB. I use the same Mobo and CPU with both a Geforce 3 and a PNY Geforce 4 and have not had any issues like what you point out.

FUzZ bUnNy - The Cusl2 is a completely different animal, I had one of those and Asus went overboard with all the failsafe features. You are correct though, The biggest gains on paper don't always translate to real life.

griffin_hr, what temps are you hitting when you set the FSB to 150? Also have you tried locking the PCI/AGP speeds by setting the board to Turbo 1? Without the lock the AGP card is running at 75 mhz at that bus speed and it might not like it.

Back