• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

05 Error Code (TH7II)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cooler666

Disabled
I get a 05 Error Code now all the time when i turn on my computer and the computer will not load. This corresponds to a Cmos Error flag (according to the manual)
I get this after i cleared the Cmos, maybe i didn't clear the Cmos properly. At the beginning i got a 05 error and when i turned the computer on again it all worked and i got into windows. Now it never works. I cleared the Cmos because before this i had problems with the RDRAM sticks, i.e. sometimes when i turned on the computer i got beeps indicating that the memory is faulty. Also it showed a differenct memory size everytime in the BIOS, i was just going to buy 2 new memory sticks when this 05 error code crap happened.

Do you think i get this error because the memory sticks are screwed completely now (although it does pass the memory test and then gets stuck at the 05 error) or because i didn't clear the cmos properly (which i might have done). I tried to change the memory slots - same 05 error, i tried to clear the cmos again several times and same error.

What do i do? how do i fix this?

Thanks for your help

Maybe you could take out the CMOS battery, and leave it out for at least 24 hours. That should completely erase the CMOS. Also, dit you try starting up holding the CTRL key?

I tried starting up holding the insert key, what does the Control key do? I'll try it aswell anyway

ok i've taken out the battery, should the power supply of the computer be on during this 24 hour period or it doesn't matter. thanks for your help.

I would take it out of the outlet as well. I once had a "resident crash bug" for the lack of a better word in my Ethernet card. It only went away after completely unplugging the system.

By the way: you did NOT clear the CMOS with the power supply still on standby I hope. That could certainly cause damage to your system....

Jirnsum said:
By the way: you did NOT clear the CMOS with the power supply still on standby I hope. That could certainly cause damage to your system....

i can't remember, i was so p***** off with the memory that i may have done it. If i did then will this still work? or do i need a new bios chip?

First thing I'd do is wait for a day.

Then put in the battery again and try to boot.

No joy? Then yank out all your cards (gently ofcourse ;), and please make sure you disconnect the computer first :D)

Still no joy? Try a different set of memory sticks.

If that doesn't work, I would start considering replacing the BIOS chip.

Really man, I hope you haven't fried any components, and your system will just start again tomorrow.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure no components were fried, as it did work once after it did the 05 error but is not working again (hard drives still spinning).
I'll find out tomorrow when i put the battery back in if its alright, otherwise will getting a new BIOS Chip cure this for sure?

I need to buy 2 more memory sticks too, i guess it'll be worth waiting for the PC1066 sticks to come out

Put the battery back in - still not working. :mad:
i emailed those suckers at Abit to see if it can be fixed, if not i'll try to RMA it ;).
Is there any floppy boot thing which can clear the CMOS?

remove the BIOS chip... put in the dishwasher at the "lite" cycle and see if it can helps !!!

I mailed abit last week and I got news from them within 2 days... quite good if you ask me !

I ran into this error code once after playing around with my memory sticks.

Turned out NOT to be due to the memory.
I unplugged all the PCI cards, reseated them all, and whalla, booted.

Good luck,
Johnny Mo

hey cooler666, by the way I don't think the th711 will benefit from the 1066. From what i remember it will work but u wont get the speed. check around the forum.... I hope u did turn off the power when reset the cmos. It tells u this in the manual.

Back